Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2021 Waterfowl Reports

1/6/21 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
USER SINCE 4/15/09

Another new year! Lets hope it's better than 2020! Post your reports, hunting trips for, hopefully, a successful Season. Stay Safe, Shoot Straight!   

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 100 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/15/21 @ 7:24 AM
Jzzzzz
USER SINCE 1/19/02

well I dont feel to depressed this morning then guys, had same thoughts with the weather coming ducks would too, but not the case, hunted a gorgeous private pond sat am with two good buddys for my 40th bday hoping for some good shooting, but aside from the first 35 minute flight not much to report we downed 1 fat greenhead and 1 hen hooded, had some geese work and dump out in the middle which was odd, overall great comaradere but poor duck numbers.

Hunted last evening at a bagdad public spot close to home with a good buddy for last hour or so, actually saw one flock of geese and a wad of ducks below them, they made a loop and headed east to the big pond. o well maybe next week!

goodhuntin all!

11/15/21 @ 6:19 AM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

Suspended

The joys of last season and frozen gear. They dry out in our second tub. Lol!

11/14/21 @ 7:16 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER SINCE 12/9/08

I own 1 Herters model 72.  It was a drake mallard "sample" I ordered way back when you could still get them.  I remember you posted once that you painted up some as black ducks.  That inspired me to convert my mallard 72 into a drake black duck.

11/14/21 @ 6:52 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

Suspended

Most of the season I've hunted over bout 7 of them. Today I busted out bout 15 of them. Feels good to hunt over vintage blocks. I to passed on a lot of divers today because of far shots. Watch another group waste bout half box of shells on a cripple.

11/14/21 @ 6:23 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER SINCE 12/9/08

I like seeing those Herters model 72 and 81 mallards on the water Griz.

I hunted Saturday.  I was expecting to see more birds coming through ahead of the snow front where I was.  I fired 3 shots and got a drake mallard and drake lesser scaup.  I had a few other opportunities but elected to not take the shots and potentially cripple something.  A couple groups were hunting near me and crippled/lost several after long boat chases and multiple shots being expended on the chase to no avail.

This morning I had every intention of going.  I got up early and looked at the heavy snow squall coming down and decided I didn't want to take the long boat ride across big water in low visibility conditions.  So the ducks got a reprieve from me today.

11/14/21 @ 1:28 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

Had a lot of birds around Thursday and a lot left on  north wind Friday. Still managed 4 mallards and a ringer in last three days. Not great but if I could shoot it would have been. 

11/10/21 @ 6:43 AM
Wacky Rig
USER SINCE 3/11/17

A limit of woodies in East Central Wisconsin on Nov. 9th.  Previously safe secluded spot.  However, my honey hole has been discovered.  Figured it wouldn’t remain secret forever.  Storm brewing to NW so we should see some migrators soon.

11/8/21 @ 7:15 AM
Jzzzzz
USER SINCE 1/19/02

Finally had some success on my 22 and 23rd hunts of the season between northern and southern zone, SE WI hunting a private lake we got our 6 geese and a couple ducks sat am and we got 5 geese and  a couple ducks yesterday am, was great to finally get some shooting and have birds actually work and dump into the spread, this cold front late this week, maybe the final hoorah, for the migration, cant wait!

goodhuntin all!

11/7/21 @ 7:10 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER SINCE 12/9/08

My son called and asked me to come and hunt with him in Iowa this weekend.  So I took a road trip on Friday.  While he was still finishing up some work obligations late Friday afternoon, I glassed over the wetland complex he told me he was hunting before sunset.  I saw hundreds of puddle ducks setting down into the wetland for the evening.  I texted him as to where specifically he was hunting and he sent me a satellite image of where he was setting up.  It looked like a long walk, especially carrying all of the gear in.

Saturday morning we hoofed in just over a mile carrying 2 guns, 2 marsh stools, a slotted decoy bag with 5 floaters and a spinner, and a blind bag, all while wearing neoprene waders.  We set up and it became apparent that we were going to see plenty of birds.  Prior to shooting light we could hear tons of mallards, teal, wigeon, and pintails vocalizing.  Once shooting hours began we had plenty of ducks piling into our little spread; mallards, teal, wigeon, and a couple of shovelers.  We missed some shots and could have limited out, but we ended up with 10 birds on the morning hunt.  Definitely had the most shooting of any group in the area.  While on the hunt, my son took a hike to check out some other spots.  3.6 miles hiked total on morning hunt.....with the extra weight of 10 birds on the strap on the way back.  I was bushed...lol.

We elected to go out Saturday afternoon for the last 1:15 to try and get the last 2 birds.  Great evening, but we didn't fire a shot.  2.25 miles in the waders.

Went out this morning and hunted for an hour before I had to leave to drive home. Had a bunch of ducks in the decoys before shooting light.  After LSL, we had a couple small flocks of teal zip through the spread.  Missed a few shots and he got one green-winged teal.  2.4 miles today....and 8.2 miles total.

Overall, a great experience.  I could have sat there all weekend and just watched.  It would not have mattered to me if I got a bird or not. 

11/5/21 @ 4:14 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

While hunting deer, I picked up around a dozen empty shotgun shells.   This explains why there are no more ducks where I usually hunt them.  

Geese, on the other hand are plentiful.   Which means I should put the crossbow away and target the geese.

Have a safe, productive hunt.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 100 POSTS
Advertise here
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.