SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2021 Waterfowl Reports

1/6/21 @ 7:59 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another new year! Lets hope it's better than 2020! Post your reports, hunting trips for, hopefully, a successful Season. Stay Safe, Shoot Straight!   

Displaying 1 to 15 of 107 posts
1/21/22 @ 10:52 AM
jtrad08
User since 5/28/21

Obviously not a report, but can a waterfowler or two near Baraboo tell me what kind of zoo Fairfield Marsh turns into during the season? Is it shot to hell and back like most of the other WPAs in the Madison Metro warzone?

How about some folks down by Albany wildlife area (south of Madison)? From google earth, I can see a couple duck blinds in the tributaries dumping into Albany Lake. With the on-going drought, I would think that most of those tributaries are wadable now. How heavily is that hunted during the season?

Just trying to find some peace and quiet!   If anyone is willing to share a less-traveled walk-in area or two (no boat) near Madison, feel free to send me a PM. I just started waterfowling last year so I haven't done a lot of exploring beyond the more popular places around here.

Thanks all! Stay warm.

1/8/22 @ 1:55 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

I'll let Gander Dander start the 2022 Waterfowl Report thread (tradition), so I will post today's pics in the 2021 thread.

Daughter and I were on the "X" today.  We saw several banded birds including one mallard hen that had a satellite tracker on her back.  That is the first time I've ever seen one.  Also took a pic of a beautiful drake black duck.  Picture doesn't do it justice.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by SuspendedMusky
2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by SuspendedMusky
12/30/21 @ 6:59 PM
Abest
User since 12/2/07

next time have 4 to 5 hundred geese on lake in washington city. they go out in the am and again at around 330 pm. there is no place to hunt on lake but must be going some where to feed. they always fly to the south. good luck!!

12/30/21 @ 9:05 AM
next time
User since 1/12/06

With the change in weather this week - any updates on goose activity south near Palmyra or other ?  Scouted central (Horicon to Theresa) on Tuesday - zero birds.

12/22/21 @ 10:01 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

anyone goin to try for geese this weekend?

12/10/21 @ 12:44 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08

Tons of geese in the central Wisconsin area right now. They're hitting the cut corn fields.

12/6/21 @ 11:48 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Another season in the books. It sure was a tough weird season. One of my worst if not the worst season I've ever had in my 26 years of duck hunting. For me it wasn't a shortage of birds for the most part in spots I hunt. For me this year I was over ran by skybusters and some of the most unethical hunters I've ever seen. Even on the last day one of them comes and sets up 300 yards behind me. I sat the full last day coming up one short of the limit with 2 mallards, 2 black ducks, and gadwall. Should have had the last bird missed 2 early some how. So I made a change in choke tubes the crushed the last 5 birds that came in. One of my favorite hunts of the year for me I only got 3 mallards but I got a fox. That worked the river bank right me. Already can't wait tel next season.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by Tr carper
2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by Tr carper
12/6/21 @ 8:16 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Hunted saturday and sunday AM's great weather a bit windy but ducky, fired one shot sat am, nada yesterday, seen 5 mallards and some geese but overall very slow, had atleast one good report from my area guys smoked a pile of mallard and geese.

Sad end to the season, and I cant wait until september!

goodhuntin all! 

12/4/21 @ 10:16 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Good deal DM,  good idea come over in the warmer months. Get acquainted of the area for the fall hunt.  Might see less pressure on the pools south or north of Lacrosse.

Only 6 rigs at the local launch this morning off Pool 7. Slow wrapup of the season. Just never seen a strong push of migration birds last couple seasons. Even the swan push is not overly spectacular.

12/3/21 @ 7:15 PM
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Thank you Fowler2

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I'm definitely going to take your advice and hit up the Mississippi next fall. I think I will take a week of vacation and go up there and learn the river. Thanks again for your help an insight.

12/3/21 @ 3:23 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Ran along the river  near home last night and many geese and some ducks in it and in the park within city limits did see several large flocks heading outside the city to feed near dusk, ,my private pond re opened so we are going to hit that up in the AM hoping to intercept some birds utilizing the area, we will see albeit i believe it will be a less than stellar end to a slow season. 

goodhuntin all! and get up off the couch or xmas lights ladder and get after um boys!!!

12/2/21 @ 7:57 PM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13

Big flock of Canvasbacks on Big Silver Lake at Wautoma along with geese and some mallards. No place to hunt on that lake but nice to see. Was 50 here today and the big wind did away with any ice that was here.

12/2/21 @ 5:48 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

It amazes me that most hunters say they do not consistently see birds but no one wants to push for more refuges.  If you want to see more birds then they have to have a spot to rest otherwise they go right through.  It can be frustrating watching refuge birds but I would rather watch refuge birds than no birds at all.  And besides, eventually they tend to make their mistakes with good weather.

12/2/21 @ 4:28 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

D/M,

I understand your frustration.  i lived in SE Wi until 2017. 

I currently live in the pool 7 backwaters. I recommend coming over and experiencing the flyway highway. Can't go wrong coming over any time in October.  Local birds good and incoming migrators. Late season can be spotty. Weekdays preferred as the backwaters can get busy. 

12/2/21 @ 2:20 PM
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Went out scouting this morning for 3 hours. I'm in southeastern Wisconsin. Went through a number of lakes that I hunt and some private Pockets that I hunt a lot of water open but no ducks or geese. Always seemed so very inconsistent here we never hold any birds. Wonder if it would be better to go take 2 weeks off and just go hunt the Mississippi any of you guys have experience with that I've never hunted the Mississippi does it hold more birds consistently. In southeastern Wisconsin you spend all this time and money and Scout and hunt for 6 hours and you might get one flock of 4 gadwalls to come in and if you screw that up you're done that's all the chances you will get for that day. Would it be better to takes two weeks and just go hunt the Mississippi for 2 weeks straight any thoughts would be appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 107 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE