Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2020 Waterfowl Reports

1/2/20 @ 6:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another New Year. Place your reports, Pics and comments here for the new Season. Stay Safe and have fun!   

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 123 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/16/20 @ 8:21 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Griz, very cool pic out of the layout setup.

On Saturday, I found a pile of birds tucked up on a leeward shoreline.  With the wind switch overnight into Sunday, most skedaddled and were not there on Sunday am.  Saw a few, but it was a real challenging shoot with 20+ mph winds gusting to 40.

11/16/20 @ 3:03 PM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Trouter,

Ducks and Geese don't like stormy weather anymore than we do. They go feed right before and right after a storm. On real windy days, they "hunker" right in where they are and sit tight. Just normal behavior for them. See it happen all the time when it's like it was yesterday. Have a good day!

11/16/20 @ 3:33 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Hunted a.m. till 11. Very windy to say the least. Had one decoy floataway before light. Hunted in layout blind with snow cover. Had birds working better today just struggled to hit them. While I looked for a downed bird had 3 land right in blocks. Why when your away from spread they decoy perfect? Also will making trips to the landing a duck landed on shore where I was hunting. Of coarse left gun at truck cause my hands were freezing. Hopefully it don't freezer up this week.

11/15/20 @ 10:31 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

On windy, blustery days, like today, all the ducks and geese disappear.   I have yet to find out where they hide from the wind.   There are not in the creeks or on the fields.

Someday, I will find their windbreak site.

11/14/20 @ 9:05 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Had a great hunt yesterday. Buffleheads were down. Ended with a drake mallard, two golden eyes, and nine buffleheads. Couldn’t get a bill to come into the decoys.

11/14/20 @ 7:00 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Hunted today from 5a.m. till 4p.m. took a small break to come home and have some lunch. Hunted backwater spring in a.m. good amount of mallard still using this. Had couple dozen land in spread just before light. Those kicked up no shots. Had others working high but landed elsewhere. Had a pair swing through blocks. Managed the drake missed Suzie. Drove to larger flowage close by. Kicked couple dozen mallard and geese right close to landing. Went home had lunch and some goose silos. Had birds working but always landing far out or off to side. One lone gadwall decoyed perfect. Thinking the rutt might finally be on cause there was no other duckhunters seen or heard. Back at it tomorrow.

11/14/20 @ 3:12 PM
walleyezhunter05
User since 3/22/05

How’s the numbers still up north Griz? There startin to push down here pretty good. Slowly picking off good numbers of greenheads last few days in northern IL. High winds (SSE) and storms should shake things up a bit.......hope y’all are having a good season. Stay safe. 

WalleyezZ 

11/13/20 @ 6:26 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Hunted 2 of last 3 days.  Not a ton of ducks flying, just the typical late season species.  The birds that flew by saw the spread and couldn't say no.  10 birds taken on these 2 hunts:  2 drake mallards, 5 buffs (3 drakes - 1 mature, 2 hens), 3 goldeneyes (1 drake).  I was hoping to see some additional mallards with last night's snow, but that did not materialize where I was.  Also saw many migrating swans and a handful of mergatroids.

11/12/20 @ 6:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Agree that the peak of the migration was bout 2 weeks ago in n.w. Wisconsin. Still some local mallard and geese. Still couple good hunts to come, fingers crossed.

11/11/20 @ 6:06 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Nice job Mr Carper!  You always seem to pull out some good puddle duck hunts later in the season.

Grim season over on the west side in the river zone. Poor Fall water levels in the backwaters and a harsh cold snap in Oct during the prime migration. Birds just kept on going down the flyway highway. 

Give in another go on Fri morn. Jus for the dogs sake.....might be her last hunt season.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 123 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.