SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

Weedless jigs

7/22/21 @ 6:35 PM
INITIAL POST
marshman80
PRO MEMBER User since 6/29/05

Sorry for the duplicate post couldnt edit the subject and didn't proof read. Looking to buy some weedless jigs and was wondering what the best were for walleyes? Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/15/21 @ 10:16 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

Marshman80, I know this might be a little late but I use the Hog Hunter jigs from Cabelas. They work great and are good for adding plastics. I also use the Slo-fall jigs like mentioned below. They are my go to when fishing live bait. 

7/24/21 @ 9:38 AM
marshman80
PRO MEMBER User since 6/29/05

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. Has anyone used the hog hunter weedless jigs? I have a lot of points at Cabela's. Lol. Thanks again!

7/23/21 @ 4:32 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have tried several different wire hair jigs with little success. Fish seem reluctant to bite on them and if they do they hit and then drop them quickly. I then ran across the Slo-Fall jigs and had better luck getting bites and then the fish holding it long enough to get a chance to set the hook. My hook up ratio was still less than 50%. I usually use a medium light action rod for jigging with 6 lb. mono. I did set up one medium action rod with a braid line for weedless jigging. The stiffer rod and no stretch of braid did help with the hook set ratio. Now this spring and early summer I used the weedless Jack’s Jigs stand up or regular head paint brush bristle type jigs on a medium light rod with 6 lb mono and a hook set ratio equal to a regular non weedless jig. 

7/23/21 @ 9:05 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

I fished slow- falls for a long time. My main shop no longer carries them. They're spendy, but worth it as they're very good.

I've migrated to a round ball with wire guards. The bait shop has them and they look like they're made in someone's basement. Not as good, but it's what I have available and they do work.

7/23/21 @ 8:45 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

x2 Jack's Jigs https://www.jacksjigs.com/

also like ISG slow fall jigs https://isgfishing.net/

....I thin out and trim the slow fall weedless bristles...

7/22/21 @ 7:53 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Google Jack’s Jigs and browse their website. This spring and early summer I used the stand up type on the river for spring walleye. They were very effective working through wood in the water and had a very good hook up rate on the hook set. I have tried many other types of weedless jigs and had poor success in getting fish to take them or getting decent hook sets. I also used some of their regular weedless jigs with good success. The stand up and 1/8 oz regular jigs have a paintbrush bristle type weed guard that the fish easily took. The 1/4 oz jigs have a dual plastic finger weed guard that was both good at getting hook sets and being weedless. I used the 1/4 oz when fishing deeper or quicker water. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE