SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

Walleye Trolling Rods: 12-14 feet?

8/28/19 @ 8:59 AM
INITIAL POST
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Anybody using rods this long for trolling for walleyes?  What brand are you using?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
1/18/20 @ 9:30 PM
Mt Dean
User since 9/8/19

Anyone  know of a good wal leye lake near oceania co mich?

1/18/20 @ 9:28 PM
Mt Dean
User since 9/8/19

Anyone  know of a good wal leye lake near oceania co mich?

11/30/19 @ 12:55 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

All good information posted here.....I can always learn from others.  

Just a note from me here.....I seem to get 85-90% of my walleye's on my 4 planer boards and only 10-15% on the 2 down rods.  Walleye don't seem to like the lures behind the boat as well as away from the boat.  

On the other hand, I get 90-100% of the northern pike on the 2 down rods.  Northern's don't seem to like the action off the planer boards for some reason.  

11/27/19 @ 8:55 AM
Jerry Ruffolo
PRO MEMBER User since 6/18/01

I have a pair of Jason Mitchell 14' rods that I use for leadcore trolling.  They were very effective up by Bay de Noc for leadcore spreads.  I have not used them lately, so they sit idle in my garage.  They are also great for Lake Michigan for high lines while trolling for steelhead.  I highly recommend them.  Capt Jerry.

11/26/19 @ 7:07 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Got a buddy that uses long crappie rods trolling harnesses for walleye.

11/25/19 @ 1:05 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I have used many lengths of rods from 5' short's for lead core out the back of the boat, to 14' two piece trolling rods.  I agree with post  below, trying to net a fish by yourself with a long rod is a task.  The 14 footers are just to long, they are Jason Mitchell rods.  The most common rods I use are 8'6" telescoping rods from Okuma, and 10' 2 piece rods again from Okuma.

9/13/19 @ 7:31 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

8/29/19 @ 8:23 PM
markobd
markobd
User since 8/1/11

These are used on Lake Geneva to night fish eyes.  2 8' rods vertical off back on either side of transom and 2 12', 14' horizontal.  Allows you to follow contours closely and turn quickly once you find fish as the vertical lines are usually out 40 - 50 ft further than horizontal.  I usually troll with minnkota as baits are closer to boat.

8/29/19 @ 2:31 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

You are correct, I guard mine closely!

I've heard some good things about THESE . Even a 14' in that line-up.

8/29/19 @ 1:55 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bass Pro is making the 12' anymore.

8/29/19 @ 1:12 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I have a pair of the Bass Pro Walleye Angler 12' rods and run them very often on 'bago and GB. If there is more than 2 on the boat we don't mess with more then 3 boards per side and it gives us 8 lines out. You can also "play games" with your boat rods easier. Faster to change baits, snap weights or bottom bouncers to get a bait down tight without dragging, and a completely different action.

In heavy waves they are often our best rods because they don't bounce around like the boards. (sometimes they like action though too) The rods have a long even bend that really smooths things out. 

When the boat rods really start working we pull out the Church tackle portable outriggers too. Always fun to have an outrigger release Walleye fishing!

Works great if your really working contour or structure too. Rather then turning and dumping your inside boards you keep everything moving smooth and right on the contour you're looking for. 7'-11" inside rod, 12' middle rod and a rod on the 15' outrigger and away you go.

8/29/19 @ 12:09 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Personally I'd run 2-3 boards on one side with the rods I have and get the baits away from the boat but if you really don't want to use boards run one down the chute straight back and the other two at 90 degrees port and starboard sides. Should create plenty of separation. Chute rod should be the deepest bait.

8/29/19 @ 11:17 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I'm interested because where I troll, I can use 1 line/person, with a max of 3 lines/boat.  

I'm looking to add a longer rod, so I don't have to screw around w/ running 1 planer board when there's 3 of us in the boat.

8/29/19 @ 10:45 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

It may help to post it on the general fishing board, too. More people looking most likely. 

The only time I've heard of 12-14 foot rods being used are panfish fishermen looking to get out over things or deep into things. Even for great lakes trolling, longest I've heard of are 10 feet. But there must be a niche for them, so I'm still interested in the discussion.

8/29/19 @ 9:59 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I'm guessing feedback is going to be limited.

Maybe Lake-Link should change its name to "GuideAdvertising-Link" or "GeneralDiscussion-Link"

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE