LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trolling Rods For Walleyes

7/12/16 @ 6:43 AM
ORIGNAL POST
eyewalls
eyewalls
User since 6/25/04

What do you use to troll for Walleyes on Green Bay as far a  rod/reel combos go?     I have a few  set ups I use for Salmon fishing off the Piers, Bigger rods with Spinning reels, and was wondering if these would work for trolling also.    Or do I need to spend the money, which I don't really have, on new rod and reels for trolling?   Like the Baitcasters I see most people use.    I'm just getting into this trolling for walleyes and already spent quite a bit on the rod holders, planer boards, tackle, etc.    Wife isn't real thrilled.   lol.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks.......

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/23/16 @ 5:44 PM
WalleyeLouie
WalleyeLouie
User since 9/11/16

Only one rod in my book and that is simple.St Croix are simply the best and made in Wi.

12/18/16 @ 11:01 PM
Ice Junky
Ice Junky
User since 8/21/09

New to trolling this year I picked up some Cabelas 8.5 foot telescoping "planner board" rods with Depthmaster II reels on sale for $59.99.  I like the rods themselves a lot for a cheap rod.  The reel drags suck and sometimes you have to pull back on the spool with your thumb to release pressure so the spool release lever will release but I knew this going in after reading reviews prior to purchase. I plan on upgrading the reels but for now they do the job.  Cabelas has several of these combos where the rod is rated for different applications.  Look at the info on the rod to make sure you are getting the right combo for your needs.

11/14/16 @ 2:03 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Hacksaw, I am with you on using the Flicker Shads, about 1/2 the price of a Shad Rap.  I don't get your line twist though, I do a lot of trolling, when trollign crankbaits I do not get the line twist you are talking about, and I just use a Snap, no swivel.  Now Trollign spinners is a d different story, if youare not using a good swivel, you are goign to get line twist.  A good fix for line twist, is cut off your snap or swivel, and let out 200 yards or so of line, and run it at trooling speed, then wind it back in, that removes a lot of your line twist if you get it.

11/11/16 @ 4:52 PM
HacksawButch
User since 5/14/14

Walleye Rods for trolling can be almost anything. I own about 40 or 50 fishing rods and use my least expensive gear when trolling for walleye's. I bought 3 rod and reel combo's at Aldi Foods about 10 years ago for $30 each and still use the same rods today, but have replaced 2 of the reels. You don't want to use your best rod as trolling will ruin your line with twists. I use a barrel swivel about 3.5 feet above the lure to help limit the line twisting. I'd also recommend using flicker shad crankbaits No. 5 or No. 7. they're much cheaper than shad raps and will out fish them as well. the No. 5's will dive about 9 to 11 feet and the No.7's to about 13 feet in depth. Varying your trolling speeds will attract more fish and leave the rod in the rod holder for a few seconds when you get a bite and you'll lose less fish.

8/23/16 @ 8:04 PM
the predator
User since 11/1/11

I have ugly sticks. 

8/22/16 @ 10:36 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Of course your medium rods will work. Toss in the others just in case, but for periodic trolling they will be fine. Now I don't know what you have for rods and reels, but they should work.

8/14/16 @ 7:58 AM
the predator
User since 11/1/11

hi guys,

I am new to trolling for walleyes, and have done so once with the GFs family.

That being said the GF and I are headed up camping at the end of Sept and will be renting a boat for a few days of fishing. Would I be able to get away with trolling with regular med/light or med/heavy rods for a few days. We would be trolling for walleye mornings and evenings. I would like to run planer boards if I could.

Just seeing if I could get away with it or if it would wreck the rods/reels.  I don't have  a boat right now, so I would like to not spend to much $. I do plan on saving over the winter to buy a boat in the spring. So if I need to buy a couple trolling rods I could, just don't want to fork over the $ to use it a few times this year on my camping trip.

Thanks for the help in advance.

7/15/16 @ 11:56 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Sweet deal Bago Bay

7/14/16 @ 9:35 PM
Bago Bay
Bago Bay
User since 7/14/16

Just bought bought 3 Okuma rods (Mills Fleet Farm Appleton) with line counter reel included, (orange tipped ones) nice combo I put about 80 fish on them so far they seem fair for only $78.00 each, sometimes you have to try a second rotation to get the bale to trip but you get used to it, lol. they handle planer boards well and I can read the rod tip good too, went with 7 footers perfect size for me. Hauled in a 28 inch walleye the other day with one of them, works for me. 

7/13/16 @ 3:33 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Come on guys quit beating me up on Okuma reels. I am on Okuma Pro Staff and had a hand in creating the Dead Eye series rods.

The Okuma Magda's  (I still have 2 of them) are an entry level counter.  The Convectors and Coldwaters are awesome, have an upgraded Carbonite  drag,  self lubricating gears, and will last a lifetime. I have over 20 Okuma Line Counters that are various ages. I will compare the Coldwater or Convertor to any Daiwa, but that is my opinion, and we all have them. By the way it was mentioned below, the Cabelas counters are made by Okuma for them. They are essentially a Cabelas only version of the Magda. One of my buddies is a tight wad, he has 8 Magda's, no issues with them and he has a few miles on them. I would have to say my 2 Magda's are 12-13 years old, with some Convector's almost that old. I still use them all, you have to have crank bait counters, spinner counters, slow death etc.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.