MORE
Walleye Fishing

River and fish finder

1/19/22 @ 8:36 PM
INITIAL POST
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Might be a dumb question but.

When jigging below the lock and dam's on the Mississippi for walleye and sauger, do they typically show up on your fish finders, or are they hugging the bottom so tight that they dont show ?

Last year my Hook5 did not show hardly anything, and in trying to adjust the sensitivity I got a screen full of dots. 

Me and technology dont get along very well .

Thanks in advance 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
4/20/22 @ 9:00 PM
Big Hitter
Big Hitter
User since 3/11/12

There are more accurate fish finders out there than the Hook Series from Lowrance. I realize there's an expense to everything but you'll get more accuracy with a Lowrance Elite Series or a unit from Garmin or Hummingbird. 

3/16/22 @ 6:28 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I've had the same experience as James. Showed a jumble of timber reaching 4 to 5 ft off the bottom.  Couldn't tell if there was fish in there. Dropped a jig straight down into the timber and had 7 strikes in a row. Landed my 5 keepers and a couple got wrapped around the branches. No shorts!

2/28/22 @ 11:23 AM
fishtrapp
User since 6/16/09

What is your average depth that you are in?  If you are in let's say 9' of water, your bottom coverage is roughly a 3' circle on average.  As you can imagine, pretty tough to mark fish at that depth.  Honestly you are better off using your locator at that depth for bottom.

2/23/22 @ 10:20 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Fished rocks in Canada with two friends and a finder and saw no fish while getting snagged with bottom bouncers. I dropped down my camera and fish were there! Some of them were big. Had a similar experience on the Fox River by a rocky drop off. The tops of rocks and tree branches show up but fish down below can remain hidden in the "shade"of a sonar beam.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE