SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

Homemade crawler harness ?

8/30/19 @ 5:15 PM
INITIAL POST
cootpatrol
User since 2/10/08
I want to start making my own crawler harnesses this winter and I was wondering what hardware you folks like the best. If you don’t mind maybe say where abouts you are fishing because it seems like people like different set ups for different waters, I am mainly interested in inland WI lakes but would love to hear what you use elsewhere. I have made a few with stuff I’ve had lying around but would like to start a wish list soon. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
7/25/20 @ 8:54 AM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

Thanks grizz.

7/24/20 @ 8:33 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Beanbag...I put bullet weights in front of swivel/ leader. Anywhere from 1/8 to a 1/4 ounce. That's if I'm trying to just tickle weed tops 7 to 10 feet down in 10 to 20 feet of water. This works for casting or trolling. Otherwise I troll using 2 to 3 ounce snap weights. Let out 60 to 100 feet of line, whatever works for ya. Than snap on weights. Let out what ever amount to reach desired depth.

7/22/20 @ 2:37 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

When trolling harness how much weight do you put on to keep it off the surface.

7/10/20 @ 1:37 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Personally I use Gamakatsu hooks, I typically tie a two hook harness but have done 3 as well.  I have plenty of beads both plain and rattling around so I can tie what I need.  I use a plastic clevis so I can remove or change the blade as needed.  I tie them on a 12 LBS Flourocabon.  People ask why 12 LBS, I feel that when you have a spinner spinning on the line, the line will not run through.  Use a good swivel on the other end and you are good to go.  Once you have a few tied up, take a swimming noodle, cut a slit into it lenghtways, but not all the way through, this way you can push the swivel into the slit, wrap the line around, and hook your hooks into the noodle.

5/25/20 @ 12:26 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Worked good on friday!

5/18/20 @ 9:03 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I used to make my own. I bought all my components off Ebay. I watched my buddies catch lots of fish with JB lures single hook spinners so I switched to using them. 

5/17/20 @ 5:31 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I make a few ahead of time and also have the components in my box to make them as I go.

5/17/20 @ 3:35 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Yes. Retied harnesses today! 12 lb vanish, #2 octopus, all different blades, and craft beads from who knows where! Fish clear water lakes over/through the green weeds.

9/4/19 @ 11:58 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

I use thin wire aberdeen hooks so they bend and come out when I snag timber in a flowage.

Search online for snell knots you can easily tie by hand. Can get beads at craft stores fairly cheap.

8/31/19 @ 4:10 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

Rudy’s snell tyer.  Google it 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE