MORE
Walleye Fishing

Cabela's Unpainted Jigs

1/23/22 @ 10:27 AM
INITIAL POST
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

Had anyone ever purchased the Cabela's unpainted round jig heads? I'm curious how the hooks hold up with larger walleyes. I've read the reviews and they're very mixed. For the price of a 25 pack and the fact I lose a lot due to rocks in the river they seem like an economical choice. I'm just worried about the hooks being too thin. I use a lot of Northland and Kalins round ball heads but I'm looking for something cheaper yet durable when fishing with clients. Thanks! 

Cabela's Unpainted Jigs photo by walleyeguy007
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/7/22 @ 7:02 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

Update:  I purchased 150 jigs to get started for the spring. I am very happy with the hooks and consistency of the pours. I only had one bad hook out of all of the jigs. They seem to be of better quality that the Kalins jigs I was running last spring. I would definitely recommend these to anyone at less than 5 bucks for 25 jigs. 

2/3/22 @ 11:50 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have used them. The ones I have had bronze Mustad hooks. I have the hooks, molds and lead pot to pour my own now, but was in a pinch and didn't have time to pour my own for a couple outings last spring so I bought some from Cabela's. When making my own, I take the hook size recommendation on the mold and go one (or two, if possible) sizes above what it calls for. I think the Cabela's jigs are fine, but the closest Cabela's is over an hour away and I have about 100 pounds of lead I got for free, so I order the hooks and pour a couple hundred jigs and break the knock-offs while watching TV.

2/3/22 @ 3:13 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I fish the wisconsin river in the spring for walleyes. I've gone through a lot of jigs from various places. Most of them have been ok as far as hook strength goes however one thing they all had in common were to small of a hook. That's alright for some applications it's just not for pitching plastic, for me anyway. I can't stand painting jigs. It's a tedious, costly process. Once i got past the fact that the color of head makes little difference I started searching for a hook. Been using EC 574 long shanks for 20 some years now. They are still a wire hook and can be pulled off of snags sometimes, even with 6lb test. I think a bag of 500 is around $30. I get wheel weights from a buddy who works in the field. I have a mold that pours 4 1\4oz and 4 1\8oz at once. Can pour and process 100 of each in a couple hours. Don't waste much time trying get snags out now. Just bust them off and tie on another.   

2/2/22 @ 3:32 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I prefer a light wire hook on that type of jig. I probably lose 1/3 less of them by being able to pull them out of snags. It’d take a big fish to straighten out the hook. 

1/23/22 @ 8:56 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

It all depends on who makes the jigs. I imagine they are Mustad or Eagle Claw and those are real good. As for me, I fish rivers all the time and started making my own 30 yrs ago. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE