Lake-Link

Newbie Grouse hunter - questions

10/8/14 @ 9:04 AM
ORIGNAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
Gentlemen,

I live in Jefferson county and hunt pheasant over my AWS. My wife and I bought a cabin near Townsend (northern Oconto cty) about a month and a half ago. I would like to do some grouse hunting with my dog.

I have never hunted the Nat'l forest. I've tried to do some research online, but I'm struggling a bit. I realize these are probably stupid questions, but I'd appreciate any help. I've been busy since we bought the place getting it cleaned up and such, and I haven't found anytime to do any driving and looking around.

1. How do you know what areas of the Nat'l forest are open to hunting and which aren't? Are they all open? 2. What are the best places to access? Are there maps online that show access points? When I look at maps, it doesn't seem clear to me. 3. Any other pointers to get someone started? Again, I have the dog, gun and drive. I have just never hunted grouse before.

Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/8/14 @ 5:52 PM
Apex
User since 4/8/11
Sent you a PM.

10/8/14 @ 3:40 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Family had a cabin in Wabeno up until 10 or so years ago (rough guess)...They say the same. Wish I had the chance to make it there. Lots of stories of bears under the deer stands too...

10/8/14 @ 2:26 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Used to do really good by Wabeno off Hwy C, but that was about 20 years ago.....

10/8/14 @ 2:18 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
If you can't find your options in those below (not likely), the local chamber is a good call or stop to make. My absolute best grouse hunting has been in the National Forest 10min from the tourist trap of Three Lakes. Good hunting!

10/8/14 @ 11:06 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
On your maps look for creeks and marshy areas. Then go to those areas and look for areas that had been cut in the last 4-5 years nearby. Look for conifers as well. Mature trees on high ground isn't good grouse habitat.

Edit-

I'll also add to hunt the edges of different growths and don't be afraid to get in the thickest cover there is. Logging roads and paths may hold a few birds but nothing like thick cover will. And again, edges, edges, edges.

10/8/14 @ 9:50 AM
TRetzlaff
User since 12/4/09
I hunt in the Nicolet as well. My family's place is near Phelps. I stopped in at the local Ranger station and they gave me a map of the trail systems managed for grouse. I would start there. This looks like the closest office. Lakewood-Laona Ranger District 4978 State Highway 8 W Laona, WI 54541 715-674-4481, Fax 715-674-2545

I got mine from the office in Eagle River 715-479-2827. My dad just called and had them mail him a copy.

10/8/14 @ 9:27 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
The DNR website has an awesome application. I think it's called "FLIGHT." it maps out the public areas and even shows you where the clear cuts are and the age of the stands. Try this link.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/fflight.html

10/8/14 @ 9:27 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
With rare exception, the national forest are open. However, I will say generally speaking, there in not nearly enough cutting on these lands (politics) to produce good grouse numbers. Look for county land and you will be better off.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.