Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Dove hunting

8/4/17 @ 5:46 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BackThePackOutdoors
User since 7/23/17

Anyone have any tips or pointers on dove hunting Wisconsin? I tried  dove hunting for the first time last year and saw little success. I spent most the time hunting dnr managed dove fields. Any help is much appreciated feel free to pm me. Thanks. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/13/19 @ 12:35 PM
mike51098
User since 1/10/08

Can't believe how many people or should I say vehicles are in the parking lots of the dnr dove fields this year.  The fields aren't big enough for all the vehicles I've seen.

Very surprised, weekend and weekdays are packed.

8/3/19 @ 10:05 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Anyone planning to hunt doves on public land this year?  I’m scouting some new spots to try and avoid getting crowded out. 

9/3/18 @ 7:35 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Hunted a sunflower field in Rock county in between the rain Saturday and Sunday.  Didn't get out till noon on Saturday.  More birds than I expected, picked up 8 before it got to hot and skeeters drove dog and I out.

Went to same field Sunday and don't see a bird till 8:30.  Amazing how sensitive they are too pressure!  Going to give it couple days off and try again later in the week.......

9/3/18 @ 12:07 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Anyone get out in Wisconsin this weekend?  I’m trying to get out this week. Hoping it will cool off a little bit. 

9/7/17 @ 6:59 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

I agree on how tough they can be Birdy Boy. I've blown feathers off those little guys and surprised they kept going!

9/5/17 @ 1:42 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Was able to get out for the first time this morning. It was actually cold. Pretty windy too. Set the decoys and the few birds that did fly by keyed right in on the Mojo doves giving me a fighting chance. Managed to bag 8. Hit a couple more, puffs of feathers in the air but watched them fly off into the distance. I am always amazed at how tough these birds can be.  All told it was a nice few hours in the field. 

9/2/17 @ 8:53 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

It amazes me how good of memory and telepathic ability doves have.   Shoot a couple here and I dont see another dove on my property for weeks but i do see them flying around me. Drive a 1/4 mile down the road and I see dozens.

9/2/17 @ 8:13 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

Landin' Lunkers

Well how did you do, i scouted every sunflower field around in 40 mile radius and they were all poor activity.

finally found 1 good spot after a lot of scouting and got a limit. But it was on private and what I thought was hot was slim pickens compared  to past years .  seen 40 shot 15.    not exactly hot     

8/21/17 @ 4:38 PM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12
Yea... ummm, there's about 25 fields in a 25 mile radius by me I would love to hunt that are private. Lots of good land in s.e. wi if u know where to look

8/21/17 @ 1:08 PM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
User since 2/25/12

Private lands are not that full of doves these days either. We used to see hundreds easy in a 2 hour evening. Sometimes we see less than 5 now. We gave up a few years ago. Last night in the city I had over 40 in my pines and on the TV attena. They must know hunting coming up. All summer we had only the 2 adult residents and a baby. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.