SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Squirrel hunting

1/23/16 @ 1:35 PM
INITIAL POST
BROWNING 1972
User since 2/10/12
What's everyone's favorite time of day to squirrel hunt? Me and my son got a new farm to hunt during muzzle loader season and we seen a lot of squirrels mainly fox. Never really put much time in squirrel hunting and I would give a try before season ends for the year.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
1/3/22 @ 10:29 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Griff: Did some walking around last Winter at Vernon and while we didn't see any, the rabbit sign was all over the place.  Sorry but that's the best I can do.

12/31/21 @ 8:39 PM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Re: Squirrel Hunting

Kudos to you...   

Squirrel hunting has seemingly been forgotten by so many as it seems that people are taking their kids right to deer hunting as a first experience.  Seeing a deer on the hoof is great for young people, but we must not completely abandon the skills that small game hunting can bring.  Back "in the day", every Outdoor Life and Field and Stream magazine would feature articles on this type of hunting in the fall.  

This type of hunting has a special place for myself as a hunter. Our family grew up fortunate to have parents with a lake property near Antigo and at the time we received a small bounty for squirrel tails at the Mepps lure facility.  Great memories were made following around the neighbor's Brittany as it treed squirrels for us to try to bring down.  Countless hours were spent in the woods honing skills that would later become the basis for success on larger tracts of land and bigger game animals.

Reasons to start out young people hunting squirrels are numerous:  

You can start a kid with a light and relatively inexpensive caliber (.22 or .410 is perfect); Squirrels are abundant so there is less wait time for young hunters with shorter attention spans than their adult mentors; You can do it at all hours of the day and not have to awake quite so early; Though you actually have to hunt them as they are wary quarry, they are a little more forgiving, sometimes offering second shots; You have more liberal regulations so if you happen to shoot one you are not done for the day; You can introduce a person to hunting in September when the weather does not require not as many layers and gear to purchase; And if you are successful, a good recipe in a slow cooker can bring a final enjoyment of the day of hunting.

It does not just have to be for young people either...  What a great way to spend time getting exercise and sharpen your own shooting skills even for the experienced hunter.  Thanks for continuing on with this sport and best wishes in the field.

Gill

12/31/21 @ 6:48 PM
griffdog2488
User since 5/20/09
anyone have any luck squirrel or rabbit hunting around tichigan or Vernon marsh? 
1/29/21 @ 8:57 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I started back up this hobby this year.. got a late start on the year but a month ago me and a buddy had some success. Went out the last 2 days and have not seen anything where there used to be tons.  Im thinking the deep snow and cold drove them elsewhere? 

4/14/19 @ 10:40 AM
john1984
User since 4/14/19

I prefer to hunt squirrels in the morning so I can deer hunt in the evening.

10/24/16 @ 8:45 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Finally got out this weekend. Rusty old single shot with iron sights. Shot 2 killed 2. Thats my old rusty trusty.  But I tell you, I somehow got a box of 22 hollow points and talk about overkill.  A head shot resulted in the exit wound obliterating off the entire side of the head.

10/24/16 @ 7:33 AM
LS2 second class xyooj
User since 3/10/16

Was finally able to get out over the weekend. Only saw two. Will probably get better once all the leave are on the ground hopefully.

10/20/16 @ 4:13 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Squirrels are few and far between from my observations in the deer stand over the weekend.  In my area it wasn't uncommon to have 10-15 squirrels in view at the same time.  Over the weekend I saw only a couple the whole time I was out.  I'm not sure where the closest corn fields are, but my guess is that's where they went.  All our area fields are hay or alfalfa and there are virtually no acorns to speak of.

10/19/16 @ 8:26 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Nice.  It's a bit tougher this year with the lack of nut crop in most places, causing them to work the corn hard just like all the other animals. I have been out three times and got blanked last time in high winds.  I am hoping to go some more soon but have plenty of things to get done first and hopefully an archery buck tag to fill.  I saw you already accomplished that for the year MP.  Nice buck.  Based on your hunting posts we aren't too far apart. 

10/19/16 @ 7:23 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Squirrel hunting is one of my favorite things to do. My dad (center pic) showed me the ropes beginning when I was 4 years old. I'm 30 now and still love it as much as I did back then. It is a great way to teach a youngster patience and woodsmanship. I've always used a .22 lr and strive for head shots. I shoot a Savage Mark II and inherited my late grandfather's Browning SA-22 that only goes with me on sunny days. Might have to go this weekend...

Squirrel hunting photo by Master_Piker
10/14/16 @ 10:15 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Anybody heading out this weekend?  I am hoping to give a few headaches in the morning...

10/4/16 @ 10:38 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Thanks LS2.  The rifle is nothing fancy, Marlin 881 .22. But it's in nice shape and is a real tack driver.  I can shoot ragged groups with it at 25 yards, given a good rest the squirrels don't have much of a chance.

i haven't done much squirrel hunting in recent years but have really enjoyed going again.

Good luck out there.

10/4/16 @ 7:07 AM
LS2 second class xyooj
User since 3/10/16

Jimmer, that's a really nice rifle you got there. what's brand is it? As for squirrel hunting, I've tried a couple of times in Kettle Moraine North but unable to bring any home. These squirrel, if they see you first you won't see them. It's a little tough for me to spot them when leaves are still on the trees. Maybe I'll have better luck when all the leaves are on the floor.

10/3/16 @ 4:23 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Anybody else chasing squirrels?  Bueller? Anyone?

10/1/16 @ 2:49 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Three this morning in the drizzle and wind.  Two grays and one huge red.  5 for 7 so far on the year and enjoyed the two times I've been out. Bought this .22 from a nice guy here on the TP; sweet little rifle.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE