MORE
Upland/Small Game

Pheasant 2021

8/16/21 @ 4:00 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I checked the dnr site today and the stocking list is out. Looks like they're back up to 75 thousand birds again this year up from 50 last year. They've added 10 more properties also. Still no day old chick program. 

Two months until the opener.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
12/19/21 @ 8:26 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Santa's helper did a great job on photos.

12/19/21 @ 5:19 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

Got out on Friday afternoon.  Covered quit a bit of ground and got 2 up.  Since I missed the first one, the 2nd flush might of been the same bird which I missed also.  I need to practice more.

Fritz

12/14/21 @ 6:19 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

Merry Christmas from Santa and Al.

Pheasant 2021 photo by griff n
12/6/21 @ 12:39 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

I got out on Friday on public land in Columbia County.  Dog got up 1 rooster and I got lucky and got it on the second shot.  Not sure if it was an early season plant or a wild rooster, but obviously a younger bird. Across the road, there was a big corn field (private land) which was picked.  When I was there in early November, it was still standing.

Was hoping the DNR would of planted birds, but if they did, I couldn't tell.  I did not hear any other shots coming from the public side of the road.

Fritz

Pheasant 2021 photo by Fritz
12/6/21 @ 10:49 AM
Bdub
User since 5/19/10

You got to work for it, but there are birds out there. 

Pheasant 2021 photo by Bdub
12/2/21 @ 9:21 PM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
PRO MEMBER User since 4/8/13

Merry Christmas 

It has been ten years since the DNR had a pheasant holiday release in the northeast. 

Not since Bong started selling three thousand five hundred public birds a year. https://dnr.wi.gov/pheasantstocking/

Properties to be stocked for the 2021 Pheasant Holiday Hunt will be:
  • Richard Bong State Recreation Area, Kenosha County
  • Evansville Wildlife Area, Rock County
  • Footville Wildlife Area, Rock County
  • Avon Bottoms Wildlife Area, Rock County
  • Lower Wisconsin State Riverway - Boscobel Unit, Grant County
  • Avoca Unit of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway, Iowa County
  • Mazomanie Unit of Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, Dane County
  • Yellowstone Wildlife Area, Lafayette County
  • Sauk Prairie State Recreation Area, Sauk County
  • Badfish Creek Wildlife Area, Dane County
  • Goose Lake Wildlife Area, Dane County
  • Albany Wildlife Area, Green County
  • Brooklyn Wildlife Area, Dane & Green Counties
  • French Creek Wildlife Area, Columbia County
  • Mud Lake Wildlife Area, Columbia County
  • Mud Lake Wildlife Area, Dodge County
  • Pine Island Wildlife Area, Columbia County
  • Jackson Marsh, Washington County
  • Theresa Marsh Wildlife Area, Washington & Dodge Counties
  • Horicon Marsh Wildlife Area, Dodge & Fond du Lac Counties
  • Mud Lake Wildlife Area, Columbia County
  • Jefferson Marsh Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
  • Lake Mills Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
  • Waterloo Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
  • Kettle Moraine State Forest Southern Unit, Waukesha County
  • Vernon Wildlife Area, Waukesha County
11/30/21 @ 6:17 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

Great day to be out with Al. Never gets old seeing a dog on point. 

11/19/21 @ 8:29 AM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
PRO MEMBER User since 4/8/13

More birds out there?

Maybe around Madison and Bong.

Up in the Northeast, we used to get a Christmas release, 10 years ago.

Not since they started selling public birds at Bong.

Look at this website's past years.

2016- 90 responses, 2017-63, 2018-43, 2019-39, 2020-36, 

2021 a whopping 25.

Great job DNR

11/4/21 @ 5:26 PM
up north angler
User since 5/13/04

Went to public land that is stocked to look for birds. Chicken wagon left about hour before i arrived. I spotted 2 birds thinking awesome next morning is set. Then i watch a man jump out of his truck walk right to these birds and shots one on the ground. I'm thinking what kind of fun is that, no orange on no dog just walk to a released bird and kill it. I know if I ever get that lazy I'm done. I know ammo is in short supply but come on man that's not even sporting. And yes I'm hunting these birds too, but at least with a dog and already missed two this year. That is what keeps me going.

11/4/21 @ 6:58 AM
Bdub
User since 5/19/10

Another perfect Wisconsin afternoon. Southern Wisconsin. So nice to get a late afternoon hunt in with little pressure. 

10/26/21 @ 5:50 PM
Benelli 12
User since 6/19/01

Exactly  Wright... my 2 farmer friends said the amount of birds they are seeing while combining is 5 fold over last year. And last year was a very good year. The public land is perfect out there ! And most of the private I hunt borders some huge chunks of public... best of both worlds !!!  Best of luck on your trip, enjoy !

10/26/21 @ 5:38 PM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

I will be in Spirit Lake for 3 days this weekend.  I have reports that it was insane during the youth hunt last weekend.  So good that locals are putting campers at public parking areas.  Over 80,000 acres of well managed public land in one county!

10/26/21 @ 3:58 PM
Benelli 12
User since 6/19/01

I use Wisconsin pheasant hunting as an excuse to get out of the house, and keep the dogs in shape. They don't know the difference between a planted bird and a wild one.

Leave Friday for the first of 2 , 10 day trips west. Iowa for 3, then hop the border in N.S. Dakota for a week. You cannot beat the hunting in these states, 5 hours to spirit lake Iowa, usually make 3 trips there in a season. Hunting both private and public.

From there another 3 hours to the Webster, Aberdeen area.

My daughter goes to school in Aberdeen, so it's a great trip, I get to see her, she gets to see her dogs, and I get to watch her swim for NSU. 100 flush days are possible,  and common. A little tougher this year, but beats Wisconsin  ! Plus Huns, and sharptails added to the mix. 

Reports I've heard from friends so far is tougher than last year, but still shooting lots of birds. If you own a bird dog you owe it to them to experience the Dakotas. Or Iowa, Nebraska,  kansas... those states do it right !

10/26/21 @ 12:02 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Wright6:

I’ve never been to SD and I stand corrected on the three bird limit. My son is in college in Iowa and we see a ton of wild birds there. Close to home too. Wisconsin is tough. But there are some wild birds. And it could get better with support from the DNR and maybe a better CRP program.

10/25/21 @ 3:11 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I don't know what to tell you.  I just know if I lived from 5 hours from Watertown SD, that I'd be over there a lot...by myself with my dogs...walking public land and ditches.  I don't do that group hunting thing anymore.

There's a lot of good pheasant hunting between Watertown and Redfield.  I'm heading out November 13th and December 4th.  Or, I'd just keep shooting 2-4 grouse/day like I have been doing this fall.  That's about as good as it gets.

I just know I won't put any time or money into pheasants in WI.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE