Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Pheasant 2021

8/16/21 @ 3:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

I checked the dnr site today and the stocking list is out. Looks like they're back up to 75 thousand birds again this year up from 50 last year. They've added 10 more properties also. Still no day old chick program. 

Two months until the opener.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 26 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/19/21 @ 7:29 AM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
USER SINCE 4/8/13

More birds out there?

Maybe around Madison and Bong.

Up in the Northeast, we used to get a Christmas release, 10 years ago.

Not since they started selling public birds at Bong.

Look at this website's past years.

2016- 90 responses, 2017-63, 2018-43, 2019-39, 2020-36, 

2021 a whopping 25.

Great job DNR

11/4/21 @ 4:26 PM
up north angler
USER SINCE 5/13/04

Went to public land that is stocked to look for birds. Chicken wagon left about hour before i arrived. I spotted 2 birds thinking awesome next morning is set. Then i watch a man jump out of his truck walk right to these birds and shots one on the ground. I'm thinking what kind of fun is that, no orange on no dog just walk to a released bird and kill it. I know if I ever get that lazy I'm done. I know ammo is in short supply but come on man that's not even sporting. And yes I'm hunting these birds too, but at least with a dog and already missed two this year. That is what keeps me going.

11/4/21 @ 5:58 AM
Bdub
USER SINCE 5/19/10

Another perfect Wisconsin afternoon. Southern Wisconsin. So nice to get a late afternoon hunt in with little pressure. 

10/26/21 @ 4:50 PM
Benelli 12
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Exactly  Wright... my 2 farmer friends said the amount of birds they are seeing while combining is 5 fold over last year. And last year was a very good year. The public land is perfect out there ! And most of the private I hunt borders some huge chunks of public... best of both worlds !!!  Best of luck on your trip, enjoy !

10/26/21 @ 4:38 PM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

I will be in Spirit Lake for 3 days this weekend.  I have reports that it was insane during the youth hunt last weekend.  So good that locals are putting campers at public parking areas.  Over 80,000 acres of well managed public land in one county!

10/26/21 @ 2:58 PM
Benelli 12
USER SINCE 6/19/01

I use Wisconsin pheasant hunting as an excuse to get out of the house, and keep the dogs in shape. They don't know the difference between a planted bird and a wild one.

Leave Friday for the first of 2 , 10 day trips west. Iowa for 3, then hop the border in N.S. Dakota for a week. You cannot beat the hunting in these states, 5 hours to spirit lake Iowa, usually make 3 trips there in a season. Hunting both private and public.

From there another 3 hours to the Webster, Aberdeen area.

My daughter goes to school in Aberdeen, so it's a great trip, I get to see her, she gets to see her dogs, and I get to watch her swim for NSU. 100 flush days are possible,  and common. A little tougher this year, but beats Wisconsin  ! Plus Huns, and sharptails added to the mix. 

Reports I've heard from friends so far is tougher than last year, but still shooting lots of birds. If you own a bird dog you owe it to them to experience the Dakotas. Or Iowa, Nebraska,  kansas... those states do it right !

10/25/21 @ 11:02 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Wright6:

I’ve never been to SD and I stand corrected on the three bird limit. My son is in college in Iowa and we see a ton of wild birds there. Close to home too. Wisconsin is tough. But there are some wild birds. And it could get better with support from the DNR and maybe a better CRP program.

10/25/21 @ 2:11 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

I don't know what to tell you.  I just know if I lived from 5 hours from Watertown SD, that I'd be over there a lot...by myself with my dogs...walking public land and ditches.  I don't do that group hunting thing anymore.

There's a lot of good pheasant hunting between Watertown and Redfield.  I'm heading out November 13th and December 4th.  Or, I'd just keep shooting 2-4 grouse/day like I have been doing this fall.  That's about as good as it gets.

I just know I won't put any time or money into pheasants in WI.

10/25/21 @ 1:50 PM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

And like I said before, I'm not posting just to complain.  I'm looking or a way to help, but if guys just want to write that you need to get out and work for your birds, whatever.  I guarantee I've walked more than most.

10/25/21 @ 1:35 PM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

FYI, it is a 3 rooster per day limit in South Dakota as well as Iowa and North Dakota.  I hunt Iowa twice a year and either South Dakota or North Dakota 1 time per season.  I don't like South Dakota for the simple reason of not being able to hunt until 10am.  Some years it's too hot for the dogs in October to hunt afternoons.  Also, virtually every single hunt club in South Dakota releases birds as well as the DNR on low number years.  I live in Eau Claire, you can walk and walk and walk without seeing many birds.  I have very good dogs and walked roughly 4 miles of public ground last Wednesday that was supposedly planted.  We flushed a hen, a rooster and a woodcock.  I'm sorry to say, but there isn't a huntable wild bird population around Eau Claire.  There are nooks and cranny's here and there that have a few birds living in them, but it's a far cry from South Dakota or North Dakota where we had 7 man limits before noon last Friday, Saturday and Sunday from public land.  I've been hunting Pheasants in Wisconsin for 35 years and have never seen 100 birds in a season let alone 100 on multiple walks in one day like we do in the above mentioned states.  Also, I understand that there is a lot of public land in Wisconsin but that is what it is.  Just land.  very little habitat restoration or crops planted.  My point from the earlier text was that we can do a lot more with the Pheasant in Wisconsin.  You tell me where I am going to take a group of guys and be able to Pheasant hunt for a day let alone 3 or 4 days in Wisconsin.  I will be in Iowa for the opener this up coming weekend with 14 guys and 11 dogs hunting primarily public land.  We will shoot a bunch and not even have to move vehicles hardly in a day.  It's just plain and simple better and the state does a ton to keep it that way.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 26 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.