SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Pheasant 2020

4/29/20 @ 11:28 AM
INITIAL POST
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

The DNR will be reducing the pheasant stocking from 75000 to 50000 because of covid 19. Also no day old chick program this year. 

I read this in the latest WON paper.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 36 posts
1/5/21 @ 8:39 PM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
PRO MEMBER User since 4/8/13

Hope everyone has had fun with their dogs. Hopefully, with the vaccines for covid-19, next year will be better for all of us. Full of futures of many great hunts with our families and dogs.

1/2/21 @ 6:49 PM
BIGWOODS HUNTER
User since 9/17/09

Went out today for one last time on a south east public spot. Walked for 3 hours, put up one rooster and got him. Good way to end another great season with the dogs, family, and friends!

12/19/20 @ 7:34 AM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

Was out yesterday (12/18) in Columbia County.  Never saw a track.  Hunters were out, never heard a shot.

Hopefully that holiday planting has not occurred.

Fritz

12/16/20 @ 6:16 PM
lilygirl
User since 6/20/06

Was out the last 2 days for a couple hours.  Only saw one set of old tracks, thats it.  Anyone else having any luck?

12/15/20 @ 6:07 PM
Del Roy
User since 2/17/14

Enjoyed a 4 day hunt in central SD in early November.  This was my 3rd trip out there in the past 10 years, and while bird numbers seemed to be down a bit in our area, they are still plentiful and as wild and enjoyable to hunt as ever.  As hunter and hound says, it’s a great destination if you really want to hunt pheasants.  Chase some wild birds out there and you’ll likely not want to shoot them out of cages again.  A bonus in the area I was in are the national grasslands, where you can chase prairie chickens and really see what kind of bird dog you have.  Good luck!

12/15/20 @ 2:52 PM
Tito39
User since 7/6/04

I was in South Dakota for the opener this year. First time hunting the state and all on public land. A very inexpensive hunt. We saw lots of birds each day, and harvested our fair share, but these bird are very spooky and hard for the dog to pin down. They run endlessly and often flush wildly way out of range. As an example, we stepped into a milo field about a football field in length and birds were already flushing out the back end. It was a very enjoyable experience and would do it again. With the bird numbers on public, I would not pay the money to do a hunt club.

12/15/20 @ 2:27 PM
drago10
User since 8/10/09

I have done a combo trip years past and it can be an adventure.   South Dakota pheasant numbers are still down but better than any other state in the union except maybe Kansas.   If you focus and stay in Aberdeen then you have many options for public land to chase birds.   I typically have gone south on hwy 251 out of Aberdeen and found enough birds to scratch a limit each time.   

As for fishing you are best to head east out of Aberdeen to the Webster area.   Numerous lakes and sloughs that have good walleye and good perch.   Check in with one of the bait shops to give you some advice as to which lake is better at the time.   it seems as if the bite on the lakes in SD really can vary from week to week.   

All in all it can be a fun trip.   I have not done the trip in the past four years as the pheasants population has been way off no matter what the department of tourism tells ya.   

12/15/20 @ 7:59 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Thanks guys

I’m looking into a resort because I can also go fishing and knock 2 things off the old bucket list 

12/14/20 @ 11:31 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

If this is your first time and you're hunting public land, you should probably leave the fishing stuff at home.  Drive around and scout before shooting time.

But, if you're going to hunt club/resort, then you'll just be shooting released birds anyhow and should have plenty of time to fish.

12/14/20 @ 10:37 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I’m really thinking about going to SD between christmas and new year’s?? Anyone out there ever hunt out in SD this late in the season??

I would also think I could do some ice fishing in the morning since the hunting doesn’t start until 10am

Anyone with experience in SD please chime in

Looking for resorts, areas to hunt etc

12/14/20 @ 9:06 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

The SD season runs through the end of January.

12/14/20 @ 7:58 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Is season still open in SD?? That’s a bucket list hunt for me! I’m off the week of christmas and would go out there if the season was open?? 

Im curious why you said you will find out how good your dog is?? Is it the terrain?? Is it the wild birds?? 

I’m trying to be humble but I’m pretty sure my dog would thrive! She out hunts every dog I have ever hunted with!! I feel like we get more shooting than most people on the public land?? She comes from a great hunting gene pool! She is relentless and never gives up! Every time she comes home her nose and eyes are bleeding! I’m obviously biased and everyone thinks there dog is the best but I would put my last dollar that she would out hunt any pointer or spaniel 

signed one happy hunter!!

I looooooove pheasant hunting 

12/13/20 @ 10:53 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

If you have an "itch", go to SD and hunt some wild birds.  You won't be sorry but may be humbled a bit.  Hit some public land/ditches and learn what real pheasant hunting is all about.  You'll see how good your dog really is.

12/8/20 @ 7:07 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

That is great news pool! I had a lot of luck the last week of season last year!

I guess I just have to work harder the next two weeks 

Good luck to everyone able to get out

12/7/20 @ 3:34 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

They stocked less this year because of covid, they will put birds at some locations the week of the 21st for the holidays.  Bong is one of them. Good luck.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 36 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE