SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

If you were to get a bird dog...

11/15/22 @ 4:33 PM
INITIAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06

I am considering getting a bird dog strictly for pheasant and grouse/woodcock.  I don't do any duck or goose hunting.  I've always had labs but I've also had some health problems with a few of my labs.  These labs have always been flushers.  If you were to get a bird dog for upland game, what breed would you be looking at?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
11/7/23 @ 11:38 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
I responded to your post on the Dog Training thread.

http://dejacpinekennels.com

11/6/23 @ 6:31 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
So after a year of research, I think I am leaning towards the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon as my bird dog breed.  Can anyone give some solid recommendations for a reputable breeder?  I appreciate any information you guys/gals can offer.
12/26/22 @ 9:29 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19
Brew Crew I know what you mean. When she does he job and I do mine (make the shot) she is happy as can be. If you miss you get a look that can pierce right through worse than the wife when she is not happy. But they will turn right back around and go back to work. I also had labs all my hunting years 30+ have my Chessie for 5 going forward I think all I will have will be Chessies
12/26/22 @ 6:59 PM
BrewCrew4Ever
User since 10/27/09

I've always had labs.  It seems like they were easier to train that pointers.  I also think they have less range issues early but admittedly, I don't put a ton of work in with them.  I used to have a Chesapeake.  The darn dog rooed at me when I shot and missed.  You'd have to own a Chesapeake to understand.

12/26/22 @ 5:42 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

I'm a springer guy.  Thought about switching before I got my current pup.  Thought about switching before I got the previous pup 16 years ago.  Didn't switch.  At 70, I might not live enough years to get another one.  But I realize other breeds exist and possibly could do a better job for me, but I doubt I would be happy.

Lot of good advice on the thread.  Besides talking to pro's, I would advise going to some hunt tests and/or field trials. Besides the pro's, you will meet a lot of dog people.  In the case of spaniel hunt tests, you will not only see most of the spaniel breeds but also most of the retriever breeds along with airdales.

Fritz

12/17/22 @ 8:13 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

I’ve hunted over springers for over 50 years, currently have a springer that is going on 13. Still loves to grouse and woodcock hunt, all day pheasant hunting is tough but a couple hours at a time is good.  Both of her back knee joints are wired tight, still can’t wait to go. Also have a lab, both good dogs. My father was not known for per found statements, but once told me “ You will have many good bird dogs in your life, one will standout above all. Hopefully you will have the time to enjoy that dog “ . Info on breeders and visiting to see the adult dogs has been helpful to me. 

11/27/22 @ 12:08 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

So the moral of the story is, find a breed that hunts the way you like to hunt. Want a pointer that hunts closer?  Go with a continental breed like a WPG. Want a flusher that is easy to train and versatile hunting both upland and water fowl?  A lab can’t be beat. You want a big running pointer that covers a ton of ground, and you are willing to keep up with them?  A setter may be for you. 

Lots of questions. But make sure you pick a dog that meets your needs and style of hunting.  The dog deserves it and so do you. 

11/24/22 @ 6:39 AM
Pheasants & a Lab
User since 1/29/22

One thought here without ANY negativity toward another breed (all dogs are great) but I personally like watching the dog work and the excitement when she gets Birdy.  My friends have some big running pointers and use gps.  I don't PERSONALLY enjoy looking at the screen and going 80 yds to find the dog.  Just a thought.

Best of luck and whatever you get, enjoy upland hunting and the rewards having a dog.

11/23/22 @ 3:35 PM
Winchester30
User since 10/20/12

You should probably talk to some local breeders rather than some random internet dudes. 

11/19/22 @ 8:18 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Just an illustration of how much ground an English Setter will cover in a few hours. Took a group to the game farm today. Abby did great. 

If you were to get a bird dog... photo by Birdyboy
11/18/22 @ 5:13 PM
Springing Crappie
User since 9/21/18

Love my Springers and have had great days chasing Grouse with them. They are also good house dogs and have a goofy personality that will keep you laughing. One thing though, they all seem a little crazy ! 

11/18/22 @ 9:49 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Birdy, I had a long-haired dachsund had the best nose of any dog I've ever seen.   I think she would've made a great deer tracking dog.   She had a lot of hunt in her.

11/18/22 @ 9:18 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Graceonpoint:

I had more than one person say she was a flat coat.  It makes sense.  I saw the mother and she was living in a scrap yard in Chicago when she was rescued.   Definitely a mutt with some kind of lab mix.  

She was a natural pointer and I trained her to flush on a "put em up" command.  I hunted her a few times with a friend from Offaly, Ireland who grew up on a game farm guiding hunts for pheasant and grouse.  He said she was as good as any of the dogs he hunted over.  I was surprised at how naturally she took to it with no training or bloodline. 

11/18/22 @ 8:17 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Birdyboy, looks quite a bit like a flat coated retriever? might explain its hunting abilities. 

11/17/22 @ 10:37 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

River_chaser:

You made two really good points. The first being that aversion to gunfire may be inbred in some dogs and you need to research their lineage and see the parents before selecting a pup. I’m watching a buddy right now struggle with a beautiful dog that is scared to death of loud noises and gunfire.  

I also have seen some great mutts in the field. I personally had a mixed breed, likely border collie and lab, who had the best nose in the world and she would dig birds out from under logs and retrieve birds in the water. I took her out once because my wife thought she might enjoy it and it was the beginning of a great hunting career for her. People always looked at her with a confusion when I let her out of the truck. Their confusion subsided when they saw her handle birds.

An old friend explained to me; “All dogs know how to hunt. It’s your job to learn how to hunt with them.”  He also used to say; “Trust the dog dummy.”  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE