Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 2,208 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/9/19 @ 5:21 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
User since 10/10/17

Has anyone seen the brood survey results for WI and MN?  

8/8/19 @ 10:16 PM
Whywork
User since 7/6/09

I don’t believe it’s the turkeys that keep grouse numbers down, it’s the habitat. If you are seeing lots of turkeys, that isn’t good grouse habitat. Turkeys need mature forests while grouse need young successional forests. In my opinion, we need much more logging to be done if we ever hope to get grouse numbers back to anywhere near where they were in the 70’s and 80’s. Our older woodlands now are great for turkeys but will never support grouse like they did in the past. I live in Waupaca county. We used to have tons of young forests and lots of grouse here in central Wisconsin. Now the woods have matured to the point where they are great for turkeys but won’t support grouse. The turkeys thrive because the habitat is right for them, and the grouse struggle to hang on because it isn’t. Just my observations after 45 years of chasing grouse. 

7/31/19 @ 7:48 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Thats HopHornbeam also called Ironwood. A very strong, slow growing tree. Grouse do favor it for food but its not as favored as popple. Its a surprise to me that it grows over much of the continent as far south as texas

7/29/19 @ 7:54 AM
Setterman
User since 6/9/19

Anyone seeing many chicks in northern Wisconsin?

7/22/19 @ 8:37 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I agree. I find that where there are turkeys, there are few grouse. 

7/21/19 @ 12:52 PM
Setterman
User since 6/9/19

In my experience of hunting ole ruff in ky over the last 35 years the great lakes states better not let the Turkey population get out of hand or they'll never have the grouse numbers they have had in the past. West Nile or not.

7/18/19 @ 10:17 AM
JKling
User since 10/17/08

There aren't any where we Grouse hunt, at least I've never seen one. Too bad, I'm always looking for an edge. 

7/17/19 @ 5:58 PM
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Yes it does have scaly bark. After your response I looked it up. That is the tree for sure. If anyone wants to attract grouse plant these tree's! Thanks JKling!

7/17/19 @ 3:03 PM
JKling
User since 10/17/08

If the bark is scaly it's a Hop Hornbeam. Member of the Birch family. 

7/17/19 @ 8:47 AM
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

It is not a nut tree. It forms catkins later in the year with long buds about 1-2" that are held all through the winter. I have 2 of these tree's in my yard which is in a heavily wooded area. There were grouse feeding on them in the morning at first light all through the winter nearly every morning.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 2,208 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.