Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 2,382 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/12/21 @ 4:54 AM
haymaker
USER SINCE 7/8/07

Just returned from 4 days in Price County. Hunting was poor to say the least. If it wasn't for the Woodcock it would have been a total bust. I can count the number of grouse flushed easily on two hands. Weather was warm so we primarily focused on swamp edges and totally struck out. I think I'm done hunting that area now. At least in Vilas County, where I've spent most of my grouse hunting career, there isn't a hunter around every corner. It's amazing how much pressure that Price County area gets! 

10/11/21 @ 8:05 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Wisconsin DNR was checking for west Nile I believe  Samfox.

Heres a screenshot of the sight, sorry I'm not good with computers to send the link.

10/11/21 @ 7:15 PM
samfox
USER SINCE 3/17/09

Anyone harvest any grouse that appeared to be sick, saw the dogs  chase a bird that won’t fly. Dogs caught it, when I went to clean it, was really skinny, crop was full. Thought it was a cripple but no shot in it. Put it in a bag and froze it, does the Dnr do any testing on this type of stuff?

10/11/21 @ 12:06 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Going by my own experience grouse hunting by one self is a seldom productive.  Hunting with human partners somehow that flushs upmany more birds per person.  As doeshunting with a good dog

10/10/21 @ 9:45 PM
Dave5555
USER SINCE 5/13/14

I've been out three different times. Don't always hunt a full day because I have a cottage north of mercer so I'll just play the weather etc.. But generally I'll log 3-4 hour walks. Just so surprised given the quality of the cover, and I've tried to mix that up a bit as well. As a point of reference, I've been a grouse hunter for 50 years. (started at 12, and I'm 62 now). Never had a good bird dog so I've walked a lot of miles. I'm pretty good at understanding what will hold birds. Just not finding much....

10/10/21 @ 12:12 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Dave, How many full days have you hunted so far this season?

10/10/21 @ 10:59 AM
Dave5555
USER SINCE 5/13/14

We hunt primarily in Iron county. I walked quite a few miles the past few days in alot of premium grouse habitat. Surprisingly few flushes. I don't hunt with a dog, but I didn't last few yrs either so the comparison is fair. I think grouse numbers are down, quite a bit. Also, a friend who does have a good dog is seeing fewer (quite a bit fewer) as well.  Question: the dnr has been tracking the percentage of birds with the "bird flu" via hunters providing samples. Has any information been communicated? Is that affecting bird numbers? 

10/8/21 @ 7:23 AM
mikieb
USER SINCE 10/11/15

I'm in Central Wisconsin by Wild Rose...    few if any grouse... but, the woodcock are staring to filter in from up north on their way south...  just getting started. 

10/5/21 @ 11:15 AM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

WIsoconisn north woods looks to me fewer birds than the previous 2 years.  last years numbers were phenomonal so I would say were beginning the down trend from the peak of cycle.

10/4/21 @ 8:27 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Was up last week,  iron river mi. area and Florence wi. We had lots of birds that flushed for us, connected on a few. Dog kicked up quite a few by the river where it's too thick to get into yet for us. 

Also lots of birds flushing out of trees this year.

Seems like we're at the peak in our area. 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 2,382 POSTS
Advertise here
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.