Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 2,293 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/7/20 @ 9:36 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Lots of guys are coming up on the weekends to hunt.  Common areas are getting pounded.  Seeing groups of 4+ guys...more than normal.

This weekend we get the pleasure of having the Youth Deer Hunt.    Don't forget your orange.

10/7/20 @ 9:31 AM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

We ran into a few people while hunting last weekend but it definitely wasn’t crowded.

This is my first year really targeting grouse and woodcock. When do the woodcock usually move south? I know there can always be some resident birds around but do the migratory birds usually stay through October or so?

Lickey

10/6/20 @ 2:22 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
User since 10/10/17

We’re heading up this weekend!   What has the hunting pressure been like for those of you that have been in the field?

10/5/20 @ 9:19 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Was bouncing around iron county mi., and Florence wi for a week. Flushed a good amount of grouse got only a couple,  lots of leaves on the trees still. Flushed a lot of woodcock also, don't care for their flavor so I don't shoot them but it's fun to watch the dogs flush anything. I'd say with the warm weather they'll still hang around for another week.  Will be heading back up next weekend for 3 or 4 days. 

10/5/20 @ 1:31 PM
Outdoor Freak!
User since 9/26/19

Hunted Price County over the weekend for grouse and woodcock.  Decent amount of birds around.  Still a lot of leaves and thick cover.  Managed to get three grouse and two woodcock.  Had a lot of fun.

10/5/20 @ 12:10 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

Hunted in the Sawyer County Forest this past Saturday, 5 hours total. Flushed 16 woodcock and 11 grouse. 

Lickey

10/5/20 @ 6:04 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

River_chaser I feel your pain. Last season, my old Weimaraner locked up hard under a stand of pine. I searched all around me kicking around with no movement. She stayed locked up. I walked around the stand. Nothing. I stood still for a minute and a grouse flushed off a branch at eye level about 6 feet out in front of me. Flew right past my face. I spun around fired twice and missed horribly. The dog walked away from me looking over her shoulder in disgust. 

10/4/20 @ 6:43 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Feelin bad for my dog today.  She did so well had several hard points.  I missed a few birds but most of the time the setups werent good for a shot.  I did manage one woodcock for her. 

At one place I had crossed swamp and went into a black spruce thicket.  Real tight stuff.  She locked up so hard she was staring 3 feet in front of me.  I looked hard and theres nothing there. I walked up to the exact place she was lookin at. There is nothing there. She is looking an inch in front of my boot and she is locked tight.  There is nothing there. I stood still for about 20 seconds. Nothing. I moved my foot one inch and a woodie exploded from between my legs. Woodie shot straight up right in front of my face I could feel the wind from the wings.  Spruce was so tight I couldnt move the gun for a shot.  

9/29/20 @ 2:43 PM
Bigpike1
User since 2/28/02

A huntin and a killin ain't good enough anymore. You need to get naaaaaaaasty

9/29/20 @ 1:31 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

Went to the Black River State Forest this past weekend with a buddy. Hunted 5 hours, flushed 10 grouse and 2 woodcock. Shot one of each.

Lickey

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 2,293 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.