Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 2,238 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/29/19 @ 4:22 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
User since 10/10/17

The West Nile virus rates reported are exposure rates, not disease incident rates.  Only a small percentage of the birds that are exposed actually showed clinical signs of the disease.  For example, a similar level of WNV exposure has been found in turkeys in TN but no one is worried about WNV in turkeys!  Of the hundreds of grouse in the WNV study, only a very few actually showed clinical signs of the disease.

10/28/19 @ 8:04 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Up in iron river mi. this weekend flushed 15 grouse most very skittish and 6 woodcock,  all woodcock on Friday gone by Saturday got one. Great to hunt with no leaves,  and it's my last chance to get up north.  Read on the dnr site 29 percent of grouse had west nile virus last year . Saw what it did to birds in Chicago a few years ago,  I hope it's not the same thing to the grouse. 

10/28/19 @ 4:00 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Tried Mercer area yesterday.  Only heard 2 flushes on Grouse Management Area that is usually good.  On the bright side, hunted just south of Rib Mountain and kicked up 10 woodcock in about 2 hours!  I think the flight is here!........ 

10/28/19 @ 5:35 AM
canoer59
User since 8/17/19

A buddy and I were hunting without a dog (I lost my English setter several years ago and haven't replaced her) and flushed 8 grouse and one doodle.  Walked up on 7 of the birds well within range and one wild flush but I think that one was a reflush.  All were off trail brush bucking.   We were on private land which has only been lightly worked by the owner.  The property is a bit west of Duluth. 

10/27/19 @ 10:38 PM
ChaunceyMN
User since 10/27/19

Hunted with my Brittany for 5 hrs in Cass County off the Woodtick Trail. Mid 30s, occasional sleet, minimal wind. Heard 1, flushed 2, bagged 0. I heard it’s better if you get off trail, but don’t they hear you coming from far off as you’re cracking sticks and just flush far off? 

10/27/19 @ 6:21 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
User since 10/10/17

I was frustrated this year because my young draht kept getting birdy but birds flushed before she would lock down on point.  I attributed it to her inexperience and also to all the hunting pressure.  Some of the covers I was hunting got hit twice a day and that was during the week.

10/27/19 @ 8:04 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I am putting up more birds this year than the past 3 years combined, my faithful companion is at the top of her game, great nose and solid points. She is doing so well that she's pointing birds 50  yard away in many cases.  
But I have yet to kill a bird, the birds seem extra wary this year. I have yet to put up a bird with in 30 yards and almost every bird is taking flight 40 yards away and if I do see them theyre beyond gun range.  I even took the bell off the dog to see if this would improve the matter, nope.  Lotta birds out there but they sure are extra jumpy this year.
Thinking to tighten up the choke and do longer range shooting.   Any helpful ideas are welcome.

10/26/19 @ 7:43 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

There are some pockets of grouse, but not the widespread #s we should have at a peak. Those of us that have hunted grouse for 30 or 40 years understand this. The overall population is way down and I'm leaning towards west nile virus, since habitat is great in the 7-8 counties where I hunt.

10/25/19 @ 3:39 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Another wonderful day chasing partridge, although I only got 2.  The dogs and I screwed up several great opportunities, but that's hunting. 

Lots of birds flushed...woodcock must be leaving.  I chose not to shoot the couple that I did see.

Keep searching guys...they're out there.  Shoot,  I saw 8-10 along the roads on my way back to camp.

10/25/19 @ 11:14 AM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

I agree Brule.  I hunt both Douglas and Burnett counties, along with Polk, Sawyer, and Chippewa.  Habitat in Douglas and Burnett is pristine in regards to grouse habitat.  Few birds for mid range cycle much less top.  To the south turkeys have a major negative influence on grouse populations.  In our northern counties while there are turkeys the country is so big I think their influence has to be lesser.  West Nile may be a factor as has been discussed.  Lots of woodcock, grouse numbers way down.  IF the cycle is indeed on the high side.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 2,238 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.