Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 2,404 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/9/21 @ 6:37 AM
Graceonpoint
USER SINCE 10/24/17

As I recall your setter is young so she's probably still learning how to handle grouse.  They can change from day to day, one day hold pretty good the next day cant get within 30 yards of them.  My old setter if she bumps a bird or the bird comes up shortly after she points she'll make an adjustment.   When they get real skittish she doesnt really even going on a hard point she just stops tail is flagging.  Kind of gives you that look that says "the bird out there somewhere but if I get any closer its coming up".   And sure enough a bird will come up about 30 yards in front and lucky to get one wild a$$ shot off.   

I think the dry conditions have made birds more skittish this year, the dogs and hunters are noisy getting around in the woods.  I've only hunted one day when everything was good and wet and the birds held great.  The scenting conditions were good that day too.

11/8/21 @ 5:53 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

I dont see grouse hunting as having a large learning curve. The grouse are 95% of time smarter and faster than man and dog .   

I did hunt today.  Lot of spots were beaten down by previous hunters and I gravitated to a 1000 acre gnarly creek bottom. No normal person would go in there but thats the only place i found birds.  Dog pointed 2x and we put up 2 with no opportunity for shots. 

no woodcock today either.  Appears to be a year of low numbers for woodcock in my area. 

11/7/21 @ 9:26 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Ten4;

Sounds like a great outing!  This year has been interesting. Hunting with my new setter is vastly different from my old Weimaraner. She runs big and when she pointed birds, they flushed well out of range a couple of seconds later. Birds have been skittish. They weren’t holding for points. Some years they seem to hold better. Maybe it’s just me learning to hunt over the new pup. 

Check out the Fflight tool on the DNR website. It’s a great resource to identify grouse and woodcock habitat. I’ve used it for years to help scout new areas and it is helpful. 

Good luck to you!

11/7/21 @ 5:40 PM
ten4
USER SINCE 3/22/14

I took my dog out this weekend for his first grouse experience.  He managed 2 beautiful points on woodcock and put up about 20-25 grouse.  The first day all the grouse flushed wild before he could point.  None presented great opportunities for shots.  Today he put up three.  Two of them he scented and turned to lock point when they flushed.  I was able to connect and down his first grouse.

I am new to bird hunting in general and it’s apparent there is a large learning curve with grouse.  I am trying to learn what ideal habitat looks like.  I look forward to many more day in the field with my pup.

11/7/21 @ 1:11 PM
Brule100
USER SINCE 3/6/18

Wondering if someone picked up a Dogtra dog collar transmitter at parking lot near Lampson/Minong. A friend of mine was using it and left it. Checked back today and it was gone. Call or text if found (920) 246-2998.

11/4/21 @ 8:35 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Swamp Buck:

Agree 100%. I’ve got cuts I’ve been watching and scouting for years. Some of them are full of grouse. Some became complete duds. But I scouted them with my brother in law as soon as they were cut and then watched each year to see if they produced.  Walked into one this year that I kept driving past for years because it didn’t look right. Took a quick walk two weeks ago and harvested two grouse in twenty minutes.  We trade information on covers with the guys we know and they return the favor.  One of the things I love about grouse hunting is sharing a new cover with a friend. But we keep them close. 

11/3/21 @ 10:29 AM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Spot on Grace on Point. It takes some boot leather and alot of work to find those honey holes.  But they are sacred spots when you do

11/3/21 @ 8:17 AM
Graceonpoint
USER SINCE 10/24/17

Josh, there really isn't a specific area, you'll find birds all over the area if you find the right habitat.  Grouse hunters are protective of their spots, I dont think anyone is going to say take the Joe Blow firelane off HWY77 and park at the second gate, walk in 1/2 mile take the trail to the left.  So you'll need to do some homework or you can just drive the forest roads when see good habitat, get out and hunt.

11/2/21 @ 8:23 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Josh Nord, I'm not familiar with that area but this guide on the dnr site might be of help. I don't know how to link it but here's a picture of the page to look for.

11/2/21 @ 11:55 AM
Josh Nord
USER SINCE 11/2/21

Does anyone have any recommendations for areas to grouse hunt in the Hayward or North West portion of Chequamegon NF area? I’m coming up from La Crosse and want to get a morning hunt in before heading further north. More-specific areas would be much appreciated as it’s difficult to sift through thousands of acres of land to find a huntable plot. Much thanks!!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 2,404 POSTS
Advertise here
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.