SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
INITIAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,602 posts
1/3/24 @ 11:59 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
New Year’s Day was good to us.   Not sure if we will get out again before Jan 7th.   Either way we had a great season.  
Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Duffin
12/29/23 @ 8:04 PM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Another beautiful day in the grouse woods.   Hit three new to me covers.   Aza  found 6 birds.  All points, 3  presented tough shots.  Ellie had 3 contacts, jumpy birds, should have shot at one though.    Birdie, pictured here, handled her birds very well.   She pointed and tracked this running bird several times over 75 yds before it sat tight in a deadfall.  Presented a rising shot straight at me 
12/20/23 @ 5:57 PM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Edgewood Norths Azalea had a fantastic run today.   Many solid points and birds worked in the point/stalk/point manner I find most effective on these cagey birds.    I missed on her first two points.   We then had great dog work and point after point only to result in a flush that just didn’t present a shot.   Finally this dandy drummer offered a left to right rising shot and I connected.   Aza retrieved to hand.  
12/8/23 @ 9:24 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Great hunt yesterday in some nasty cover.   Birds were taking advantage of the sun and enjoying the salad bar while using blow downs for cover.   We had 28 contacts in just a couple hours.   Our best day of 2023.  
12/6/23 @ 6:15 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
The northern forest has a good dusting of snow making for fun tracking and improved visibility   Put up a dozen birds with no kills, great day to be out regardless. 
11/12/23 @ 9:33 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
All good things come to an end.  Just returned home after doing my early Oct- early Nov stint in NW WI.  I'm fortune that I can work from anywhere, most days I work to lunch and then knock off for few hours in the afternoon.  I reverse this game plan on the weekends and try to hunt early before it warms up and all UTV/ATV riders hit the trails.  Gates and a vehicle parked at the gate doesn't seem to matter to those folks.    Overall I would say the numbers were down quite a bit from last year I think I harvested exactly half the number I did in 22.  I didn't shoot quite as good, and the week after the Halloween snow I dont think I fired a shot, the birds were just too jumpy to get with in shooting range. That accounts for some of the drop off.  I'm not that worried about numbers killed just like a enough birds around to keep things interesting and that was certainly the case.  Couple of photos, my old gal 13 1/2 that I would take on short hunts a couple of times a week with what will likely be the last grouse shot over her, and one of my younger dogs 2 1/2 that will likely be my best dog.  He's out of Long Gone Studley and a grouse pointing machine.
Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Graceonpoint
Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Graceonpoint
11/11/23 @ 7:51 PM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Birdie got the start today and handled her business.  Gave Aza and Ellie a well deserved day off.   Been a great year for us.   We put in the miles busting brush.   45 on the boots this week. 
11/11/23 @ 4:25 PM
MNgrouse
User since 7/22/23
Any recommendations for a good pair of early season grouse pants. Looking for something durable, yet light weight in the warmer part of the season. Thanks!
11/11/23 @ 12:42 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
Walleye Warrior:

I haven’t hunted over that way but you would be in the middle of the east Chequamegon Nicolet forest. Should be good cover around that way. Check the DNR FFlight app and look for cover maps. 
11/10/23 @ 3:36 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
I recall someone on this thread doing well in florence or marinette county.
11/10/23 @ 1:02 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01
Does anyone hunt Northern Oconto or Southern Forest Counties?  I just got a German Shorthair and want to start her out hunting.  She is 1 year old.  Backstory, have grouse hunted most of my adult life, but have taken a10 year break because of lack of Grouse in our area.  So, 2 questions....1)have grouse numbers rebounded in my area?  I dont see many out in the woods or driving on the logging roads.  2)what would be the best way to get this dog acclimated to grouse hunting?  MESSENGER is fine.  Thanks in advance!  -WW
Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Walleye Warrior
11/8/23 @ 11:44 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Hunted all day yesterday.   The birds were holding better.  Had nine solid points on 15 bird contacts.  Not all presented shots as even well handled birds seem to put obstacles between the gun and them.    They’ve transitioned to areas with more conifers and conifer edges 
11/8/23 @ 8:32 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
The birds have calmed back down, several pointed yesterday and two that held so tight that I actually had to walk in front of the dog to flush.   
11/7/23 @ 12:47 PM
Shimanoman71
User since 4/22/04
I am guessing the same time the snow came, the leaves and underbrush finally disappeared. They hung on forever this year. 
11/6/23 @ 1:06 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Ive never had snow seem to be an issue.  95 of 100 birds have always been too skittsh to take flight less than 40 yards away. I believe its a genetic influenced behavior. Skittish birds dont expose themselves to be killed so easy. Birds that seem more tame and curious or wait til the last minute to flush are easier to kill and thus wont reproduce as much. 
But back to the snow issue.  Its very possible that snow does have the effect you say.  Crunchy snow could alert the bird to your presence much sooner.  There is also evidence that shallow snow and cold temps induces higher cortisol levels in birds making them more nervous and apt to take flight sooner
Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,602 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE