Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,435 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/31/22 @ 10:43 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Broods looking pretty good in the areas I hunt. Lots of chicks seen over summer. Counting the days now. 

7/31/22 @ 9:56 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER SINCE 10/10/17

Here you go

7/31/22 @ 8:27 AM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

TNVOL - In fact, you're comparing the driftless area of Wisconsin...the southwest corner of the state...not the Northwoods. 

7/31/22 @ 7:53 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER SINCE 10/10/17

Here's the northern WI drumming counts for comparison with NE MN

7/30/22 @ 12:54 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER SINCE 10/10/17

MN drumming report just came out.  #s are up across most the state.  I know drumming counts aren't great predictors of the fall population but it still is useful information.  The attached graph is for the NE region.

7/26/22 @ 1:13 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

I was thinking the first weekend in october. Now that I search back turns out  I misthinked

7/26/22 @ 11:52 AM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Woodcock always opens a week after grouse...been that way for as long as I can remember.

7/26/22 @ 11:00 AM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

I see woodcock opens sept 24 earlier this year, just one week after grouse opens in zone A.  Good idea. I noticed migrations taking place well before last years opener.

7/22/22 @ 8:24 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

I hunt basically private land, my wife's father and  I are the only ones that hunt it. It's around 400 acres of great habitat surrounded by other private land that is great habitat.  The birds there are skittish too sometimes.  Other years they're under your feet. No rhyme or reason. 

7/22/22 @ 8:32 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

I had a technician helping me with my satellite dish last week.  He was from Montana.  We started talking about ruffles and hunting and dogs.  He said he only uses a dog for ducks because in Montana because he can walk right up to grouse on the trail and shoot them with a .22.  He hunts for the meat and doesn't like using a shotgun.  

I don't know that the grouse in Wisconsin are more jittery because of hunter pressure per se.  I find them to be super jumpy right at the opening week.  Maybe it's just different pressure from predators?  I don't know.  The King remains a mystery to me.  And yes, I too have invented new swear words many times after emptying my shotgun on a single missed bird only to have five more flush out right in front of me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,435 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.