Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,201 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/16/19 @ 10:49 AM
JMTieds
User since 3/28/11

Hunted pretty hard for 5 days up in Forest, Florence, and Marinette county. Our place in Forest county is my comfort zone and I tend to hit the same 6 to 10 roads every year when grouse hunting and those roads are still producing but I really wanted to get out of my comfort area and find new spots these last five days.  

Day1 = 7 grouse flushed, 3 shots fired, 0 birds harvested. 

Day2 = 9 flushes (4 grouse, 5 WC), 4 shots fired, 0 birds harvested.

Day3 = 14 grouse flushed, 6 shots fired, 2 birds in the bag. 

Day4 = 3 grouse flushed, 0 shots, 0 birds.

Day5 = 15 grouse flushed, 5 shots, 1 bird in the day. 

Total birds flushed 48. I logged a lot of miles over the 5 days and hunted several new areas that I'll be sure to revisit in the future. It was great to get the dogs out on some birds, I think they'll be sleeping for the next 3 days straight, they covered a lot of ground and endured a lot of cuts and scrapes that they'll need to recoup from.   

10/13/19 @ 7:55 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Hunted both the UP and Florence county wi. Flushed birds in both places , lots of leaves on the trees , saw both adult and smaller birds.  Going back in 2 weeks should be leef free by then. 

10/11/19 @ 11:54 AM
BirdDog815
BirdDog815
User since 3/11/17

Hunted Iron County the 27th through the 7th. Didn't hunt too awful hard spent more time in the boat. I did move birds everyday. It was still plenty thick up there but I did notice a progression of the leaves falling as the days went by. It was also nice to be there when the Doodles moved in, made for some fun shooting. We managed to get a good number of grouse through out the week and did very well on the Doodles. Our best day was last Sunday. We moved 28 birds and took 7. I imagine with all the rain and with the upcoming snow in the forecast that the leaves will be thinning out quick.

10/9/19 @ 7:35 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
User since 10/10/17

I've seen more hunters than grouse this week in Price Cty.  It is also very wet- bring your rubber knee boots!

10/8/19 @ 9:23 PM
WWYH
User since 5/24/16

Buddy of mine has hunted past couple of days. Has seen a decent amount of birds around Phillips. Went to Iron County today and struggled. He went up there just to try new land. Very slow around Park Falls. We’ll be joining him this weekend. Weather doesn’t sound great however. Certainly more leaves on the trees in Phillips compared to Iron County according to him.

10/8/19 @ 11:23 AM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

I was up to the Chequamegon (Price County) late last week. 3 out of 4 days were very wet.  Did not hunt on Saturday because of rain. Still a lot of leaves, but more were falling. Friday the nice day, we got off the trails and back in about a mile. We flushed a lot of birds but not many good shot opportunities. I ended up with a handful of empties and no birds in the bag.  I'm blaming the leaves. :)

Never saw a woodcock.  Usually do see some in the low areas.

Going back north later this week.

Fritz

10/7/19 @ 12:54 PM
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Birdyboy- I'm by Hwy 70 and the leaves are down about 20%. Still plenty on the tree's here. Not sure north of me.

10/7/19 @ 9:04 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Heading up to Iron county Sunday for a week. I heard the leaves are still pretty thick. Anyone been up that way?

10/1/19 @ 12:30 PM
150class
User since 8/24/01

Its not hearsay...it is Jan 5th.

Ill be up the 10th thru the 20th. Hunting the lower UP this year

10/1/19 @ 10:43 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Still many leaves on trees.  I am heartened by all the birds we are moving.  Though they are flushing about 50 yards out and I cant even see 90% of them even when dog has a solid point they wing up before I get there.  My legs are keeping up with the dog but my eyes are aging faster. 

Colors should be peaking on weekend of October 5

Am surprised  no one here has mentioned it.  Ive gotten it through hearsay that the rule was finalized on sept 25 that season close will be on Jan. 5 2020.  Not sure if the decision is based on sound science but I will say (from research Ive read) that birds in winter are more stressed without several inches of fluffy snow to shelter in. And hunting them in low-snow conditions will increase their stress levels and decrease ability to survive other mortality factors.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,201 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.