Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,416 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/6/22 @ 9:19 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

I was running a new dog last year so I got to see plenty of birds light out after she pointed them way out ahead of me.  She figured it out toward the end of the trip and put three birds in the bag for me on our last day.  Did a lot of work after grouse season and I "think" she understands that she doesn't get to retrieve if I don't get a shot.  

I too saw a lot of wild flushes and I'm sure the birds were pressured.  I shot better last year than I have in a long time so managed to connect more reliably.  

7/6/22 @ 12:48 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

I seen and heard plenty birds last year and 95% flew up 40 yards away making 95% of the potential shots impossible. 

Save a lot of ammo that way  

7/6/22 @ 10:07 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the help. 

In other news, we have family up in Mercer right now and they have seen a few broods running around. My buddy lives full time next to a huge piece of public land and he has seen a lot of hens on the nest in the spring and heard non stop drumming.  I think we should see at least as many birds as we did last year and we saw a lot in what was supposed to be a down year. 

7/6/22 @ 8:21 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER SINCE 7/24/01

In the past 2 weeks I've seen 2 broods of chicks which appeared just a few days old. Both had about 6 little ones that I saw but there could have been more in the brush that I did not see. It seems pretty late to me for chicks that small. Maybe a second nesting? I did not think our spring was that cold and rainy that they would have lost the first batch. Price County.

7/6/22 @ 6:52 AM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Odd. In the past a easy google search yielded at least a couple news stories on the most recent drum counts.  Last night I did a search and yields info going back from 2021 to 2005

7/6/22 @ 6:26 AM
Graceonpoint
USER SINCE 10/24/17

Birdy, they've made it harder to find.  2% decrease in the Northern WI from last year.  I find the brood survey to be a better indicator of hunting success but they haven't conducted those surveys in a few years.  Here's the link 

widnr.widen.net/s/rvhq6xvltv/ruffed_grouse_2022 

7/5/22 @ 8:04 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Did the DNR publish a drumming survey for 2022 yet?  I checked the DNR website and can’t find one. I think it’s usually out by now 

5/23/22 @ 9:21 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

High hopes for Iron County this year.  Reports of lots of drumming and females on the nest.  I'm already excited.

5/23/22 @ 9:49 AM
Direwolf66
MEMBER SINCE 2/21/20

Lots of drumming in Sawyer County too!

5/22/22 @ 8:54 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Up in the Iron river mi area this weekend on our land. Non stop drumming all weekend. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,416 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.