Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,182 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 9:46 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

This bird I shot today in Rusk County does not look good at all! The breast was 1/2 the size of a tennis ball and the bird was an odd light grey and missing feathers. Im suspecting WNV.

TODAY @ 6:00 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Got out yesterday in Oneida county. Took a 2 hour walk w/ my lab and we flushed 4 grouse and 2 woodcock. A very nice start to the year after last years dismal season. Oh and I got 1 which the heart and blood sample will be sent in for the west Nile testing.

9/13/19 @ 6:27 AM
wam80
User since 1/31/09

I use to deer hunt the Necedah wildlife refuge.  I have not done so in about 18 years.  I would see a good amount of grouse.  Does anyone hunt the refuge for grouse still?  Is it worth a 3 hour drive for a weekend later in the season?

9/5/19 @ 10:58 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

Habitat in Douglas County where I hunt is the best it's been since the 70s. Despite that, there have been low numbers. Having pursued grouse for 40 years, I understand that there is something else, possibly West Nile, contributing to the low numbers. I agree that road hunters, including trail hunters on ATVs, ground swat far too many birds. This is not challenging, sportsmanlike, or ethical. Comparable to poaching deer from a vehicle.

8/29/19 @ 9:47 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Frenchbrit I am with you. 

I had guys run up ahead of me on the logging trails in Chequamegon last year on ATVs only to stop 100 yards ahead and shoot birds off the ground. I was really bummed as I was working slowly with my old dog trying to get her on some birds in what might have been her last season. Road hunting, in all its forms, should be outlawed.  It’s not sporting and the birds deserve more respect. 

8/29/19 @ 6:55 PM
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Brother- I agree. I really wish they would outlaw road hunting. Period. I'm older but cannot hunt like I used to as my back won't tolerate it. But I can still walk the trails and old logging roads. I know a guy who brags that shot 43 grouse last season. Road hunting! Disgusting to me. He's not disabled. Bear hunters take a toll as well. Its part of their hunting to shoot grouse off the road.  Late season guys watch the tree tops and shoot them in the tree. Now that's pretty sportsman's like isn't it. Sad.

8/29/19 @ 6:32 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

I'm not so sure if it's the bird hunters their worried about.  Drive around in the evening late season, in some areas the birds are thick sitting in trees along the road.  Easy pickins for the road warriors.

8/29/19 @ 3:52 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

a different version

8/29/19 @ 3:07 PM
Whywork
User since 7/6/09

I haven't seen anything official yet, just a few posts on Facebook. Hopefully, I am wrong on this and Natural Resources Board and the DNR don't move forward with the early closure, but attached below is what I saw. I sent them my comments during the public input period, but if this is true, they didn't do much good...

8/29/19 @ 1:49 PM
JKling
User since 10/17/08

Agree 100% with that post as well. Is it for sure that they clipped the season again? I know they were talking about it, and not surprised that it is, but can't find any confirmation of that. Where'd you see that?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,182 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.