Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,381 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/23/21 @ 11:12 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

One other comment. Birds are still coveyed up in most of the covers we hit. Numerous flushes of 3-5 at a time. Very few singles. I think the lingering warm weather kept them close. My point being, don’t empty the gun on a single bird only to see four more flush behind it. I made that mistake twice this week. Still mad at myself. 

10/23/21 @ 10:56 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Just got back from five days in Iron an Vilas counties. Saw a lot more birds than I expected given the drumming and more recent hunting accounts. Ten birds in the bag with a couple coming from new cover I’ve been watching the last few years. The new dog earned her keep but pointed a bunch far out that didn’t hold. I’m learning to hunt with her. 

Always a great trip and a wonderful time with friends and family afield. 

10/23/21 @ 7:12 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Fun!

10/22/21 @ 8:21 AM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Trouter, I'm sitting here, drinking coffee and making breakfast.  When the frost burns off a bit, I will grab a shotgun and start walking.  

I don't rush out in the morning, but you can stumble on birds anytime after that.  I also like to save a short walk for the last hour of shooting time.

10/22/21 @ 7:56 AM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

I generally find mornings and evenings better when birds are in transition to feeding/picking grit.  Seems is that they are more vulnerable and move around quite a bit more which makes it easier for the dogs and they aren't in as thick of cover.  I've also found that they like to perch on high spots in the sun on cool mornings and you can sometimes spot them before the dog gets on them so you're a bit more ready for the flush.  I have labs so I am more less reading the dogs attitude/excitement.  I mainly hunt pheasants through out the fall, but if I hunted primarily grouse I would probably invest in a pointer.

10/21/21 @ 5:08 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

We went for a walk around noon today near Copper Falls State Park for grouse.   The habitat looked prime and there were enough leaves off the trees for visibility, but we did not flush any birds.

What is the best time of day to hunt grouse ??

10/21/21 @ 9:26 AM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

Seems to be lots of birds for the taking this year. Have had 15-30 flushes every time out in Northern Rusk, Southern Sawyer Counties.   Key for me is to get away from the beaten path.  Seems like all of the hunters and dogs tramping the easy stuff near the roads/trails have pushed the birds into pockets way back.  Popple slashes deep in the timber is where I'm seeing them.  Sometimes you need to walk a half mile/mile just to get to where you want to hunt.  Older clear cuts where they can walk around/run seem to be better.  Lots of berries too, not sure if they reblossomed or what.  You may walk a couple with none or 1 or 2 and then find one with 15-20.  I have a 4 year old Lab who has been brought up mostly on pheasants, but is having a blast!  I thought I read somewhere that years that end in 0 and 1 are the peak of the cycle which means it may start to decline for a few years.  Who knows.  Good luck and I hope this helps someone.

10/19/21 @ 4:41 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

sent you pm

10/19/21 @ 11:34 AM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Can anyone tell me what kind of cover you're keying on?  I'm headed up to Jump River, WI for 4 days to bowhunt and want to chase some grouse while I'm up there.  

Good way to scout public land for gun season.....

Thanks much.

10/18/21 @ 2:38 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01
Hunted for a few days but I had to quit until I get some eaten.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,381 POSTS
Advertise here
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.