Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,349 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/27/21 @ 10:49 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Freak, that is strange. Still cool though!

I seen 3 crows today. That identified as grouse.  So I guess that's good right?

9/27/21 @ 9:10 PM
Outdoor Freak!
USER SINCE 9/26/19

The grouse we encountered were all ruffs in Canada that we’re not afraid of humans.  When I was a kid we stayed at a fishing lodge near Ear Falls.  The lodge owners called grouse “brush chickens” because they would often see them walking around the camp.  

Years ago on a bear hunt in Canada I had a ruff fly up and roost about 5 feet from me in my tree stand.  The ruff was not happy I was so close.  It puffed up and bobbed its head at me until it was too dark to see.  It was a Fun encounter.  

9/27/21 @ 7:26 AM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Thats what I heard about Canada as well but I was hoping someone had a more sporting experience.

9/26/21 @ 5:27 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Freak, Are you sure those are not spruce grouse? The are known to be that dumb. Look a lot like the ruffed grouse. Tail in flight gives them away.  

Jzzzz,  Wife tells people she never knows where the hell I am. Honestly I dont either. I embrace the ADHD, lol

It been more of the same this week. Took a few scouting hikes. In areas I wont take the dogs. 12 miles, 9 miles, 5 miles. Didnt move a thing. I have not seen a woodcock in several days.  My wife has seen nothing running baits. Today though was crazy!! I flushed a bird by 3 baits. Heard another drumming by another.

Only seen one group of hunters all week. Nice couple from Chicago. They moved a few woodcock, but no grouse.

Good friends of mine were up. Very good hunters , with very good dogs. I could not join them due to bear season.  They found 6 grouse in the morning, and 6 in the evening.  Only a couple woodcock found the bag. 

What I have really thought about much. Until talking with my local farmer few days ago. Was the hard frost we seen end of may.  It took out several of his crops.  Also a lot of the mast crops here. I have found almost no berries at all this year.  Only chokes I have seen were all the way down in lake tomahawk.   I wonder if this could have taken out some of broods?

Im sure I will start seeing more. Once I get the boys in the brush. Not seeing them on my bait routes is a bad sign always. 

Good  Luck out there. 

9/24/21 @ 1:09 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

That's rich, they ground pound them out the window or off an ATV, but hunting them w/ dogs is unsporting.  Sheesh!

My last trip to Canada was 34 years ago and I suspect I will never go back.  I'd rather stay here and have 2 extra days of doing whatever, than make the drive up there.

9/24/21 @ 12:36 PM
Outdoor Freak!
USER SINCE 9/26/19

I’ve hunted grouse several times in N/W Ontario Canada while on moose hunts.  The majority don’t fly.  They just walk around and look at you at close distance.  They appear to have no fear of humans.  Locals often shoot them with air guns.  Locals also don’t have a favorable view of grouse hunters using dogs.  It’s viewed as unethical, as dogs will easily locate all the birds in the area.  Birds will sometimes fly if you run at them, and you can get a sporting shot.  Not always the case though.  They still often stand there and walk around.  On the plus side,  most years I have seen good numbers of grouse in Canada.  Happy hunting!

9/23/21 @ 12:44 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Ditto what Brdyboy says and be alert in the woods.  My dog is a long ranger and I put a 1 inch bell on the dogs collar making unnatural noise is a good thing to keep the wolves alert for your presnce and avoid a confrontation. No the bell does not attract them. 

9/23/21 @ 11:57 AM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Seems like steady grouse numbers out of Canada. Has anyone here hunted them in Canada and what was your experience. Were they sporty (strong flushers)? I've thought of making a trip for them. I've heard that they could be pretty boring and people shoot them off the road with .22 and that's not what I want. Maybe this should be in another forum.

9/23/21 @ 11:41 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Jzzzzz. 

I hunt the areas around Pike Lake your buddy does. Usually closer to the Riley lake area west of Musky Jacks in Fifield. The DNR has some reports the last two years of dogs getting tangled up with wolves around there. In 2019, my Weimaraner Lucy came dangerously close to a juvenile just off one of the old logging trails. I’m sure the juvenile was part of a larger pack that frequents that part of the Chequamegon.  Last year I hunted that area with a buddy and his dog. No wolves encountered and no sign. 

If your dogs are well controlled, I wouldn’t worry too much. I hunted that Weimaraner for 12 years and had one close call. If they run big, like my new setter, I would not be comfortable. Last year I put Abby on  the ground for the first time and the damn dog was 200 plus yards out in a matter of seconds. She did that a couple of times and I put her up for the remainder of the week.  Been working all year on keeping her close.  We will see how she does in a few weeks once she gets a whiff of bird scent. If she runs big it’s back to the truck. 

Overall, I don’t worry too much about the wolves but try and keep the dog close.  I’m running her with a Garmin Alpha Mini this year so that will help. 

9/23/21 @ 8:15 AM
Jzzzzz
USER SINCE 1/19/02

soooooo were does a guy and a dog hunt safely up nort then for the partridge??   I did  afair amount in the Fifield Pike Lake Chain area years ago and a buddy still hunts that area often with GWP and hasn't had any wolf issues that I know of, is it just those certain pack areas or is it more widespread?

I am heading north for our anniversary next week and wanted to get my lab daisy out for some grouse, I'm a little spooked now by all this chatter on here, is it similar in the U.P as well?

Thanks for any info, and good civil conversation on here. Steve; its crazy how much you travel up in your area, get some rest bud! hahahah

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,349 POSTS
Advertise here
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.