Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
USER SINCE 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,332 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/20/21 @ 10:30 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

My bait run today was only 40 miles.  Seen my second grouse of the year.  2 wood cock as well.  Wife did a bit more. Has yet to see a grouse.

Birdy, I dont think they are moving at all. The population is just expanding. I have many friends in the UP that are seeing more than ever. Many friends that hunt to the south. With more than ever. Im talking around Wi Rapids, and as far south as Black river falls.  No doubt they move to food sources. Just like all critters. There is just that many more now, and continually growing.  Even if we get another hunt. Still wont touch the population.  Not one was killed in vilas county on last hunt. Only 4 in onieda.  When I can count 120 within a 10 miles radius of my house. Its really bad!

9/20/21 @ 4:24 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Got out with the dog today despite the heat. Got one flush one shot one kill. 

Its funny starting the season off with some success.  I could put in another 100 hours of hunting and never kill another bird. thats grouse hunting for you

9/20/21 @ 8:51 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Steve;

Do you feel or think the wolves are moving further south?  Reason I ask is, we hunt grouse mainly in the central and northern part of Iron county. Over the last five years, it seems like the deer population there has grown and we see less wolf sign in the woods. One of the locals guides I know thinks the deer are back because the wolves are heading further south for food. One area of Price that I like to hunt has seen a higher number of DNR reported depredations since 2016. Multiple in a pretty small area in the Chequamegon. 

I’ve seen your posts and know you spend a ton of time busting the brush. Interested in your take. 

9/19/21 @ 7:06 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Got up to the iron river mi area,  lots of foliage and lots of birds . Never left our property and just walked the trails. Afternoons were best, not a lot of shots offered,  did have one almost run across my feet with my lab in hot pursuit from under a group of pine trees.

Back up next week. 

9/19/21 @ 6:51 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Not sure what happened to my post yesterday.  So another days info for vilas/oneida counties.  

I have been running bear baits all over, plus scouting other areas.  Seen just 1 grouse since may. My wife has actually been running baits more than I have been.  She has not seen one all year.  Have a woodcock breeding area. Normally many coveys. This year only a few single birds. Did see 3 once back in july. 

Talked with 2 guys today in the woods I know. They only flushed a bird a piece. 

Numbers are so down. I will not take any clients again this year. 

Which is a blessing in a way. The wolf numbers are so out of control.  Im not even running my bear dogs. Was places last year. I would not take the GSP's out.  This year there is even fewer places I feel safe. Retired my 8 yr old last year. Because he ranges to far at times.   I know some are calling BS already.  However, please feel free to test your theory at your convivence.  

But hey, Im only in the woods around 200 days a year. I  have no clue about anything!!  

If this post is removed again. Has to be wolf lovers.   We will see. 

9/19/21 @ 4:45 PM
LabsNpheasants
USER SINCE 3/15/20

Langlade Co.  Antigo area.  7 hours, 8 flushes.  It was tough in that area last year also. There wasn't enough decaying leaves for the woods to smell "sweet "yet, but it was still enough to make me smile and relax :)

Thinking of pushing further North for a trip early.  Thinking Glidden/Clam Lake area.  Anyone willing to share a place to stay in the area?  Have not scouted boots on ground so not sure if I should go East or West of Glidden.

Thanks,

Mike

9/18/21 @ 12:17 PM
canoer59
USER SINCE 8/17/19

Was up in northern MN this past week,  before the season opened unfortunately,  but went hiking and flushed 4 birds in 45 minutes. Getting pumped for my next day off of work...

9/18/21 @ 11:48 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Season begins today up north.  Anyone get out this morning?  

9/15/21 @ 10:35 PM
rocks
USER SINCE 6/26/01

Looking forward to this year.  The first weekend of grouse season last year I had to crawl out of the woods as I took out my leg when I stepped in a hole.  That ended my season.  Last week I did some road checks in the morning and around 5pm in the park falls area and did not see many birds.  I have not hunted clam lake area and wondering if it looks better there?

9/11/21 @ 6:22 AM
Tacoeye
USER SINCE 7/28/16

I was looking forward to a trip up to the partridge woods this weekend, but the dog had other plans last weekend when she dropped /chased her tennis ball underneath the boat trailer as I was parking , 13 staples on one wound and 25 and a drain tube on another wound. Poor girl, grouse get a break from us til October, every weekend of October we will be at it with a vengeance

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,332 POSTS
Advertise here
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.