Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,293 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/10/20 @ 6:24 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

The birds are not everywhere. There are many places that have been historically great with almost zero birds. With that said, there are other places loaded with birds. I'm wondering if this is the result of local resistance to WNV. I won't name the county I'm hunting, but will say I'm hunting NW WI. Most of the birds were within 25 yards of a H2O source in areas with perfect sized popple and pines.

11/9/20 @ 11:03 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Brule. That's amazing that many birds! What county? Son and I went for a couple hours Sunday on way home from Forest County. Flushed 5 birds just leaving the truck. So surprised couldn't react on the first 2, couldn't see the 3rd, and each got one shot off on the last 2. No birds, but a good laugh. Nothing after that. Good times enjoying the weather and company.

11/7/20 @ 8:28 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

More birds this year. Flushed 56 today with my son. Lucky I'm well stocked on shells!

11/2/20 @ 9:34 PM
BirdHunter-22
User since 10/5/18

Hunted in Sawyer County 2-weeks ago and my Springers put up at least 15-birds in 4-hours. 1/2 of them I lost in the sun. The other half I managed 5 or 6 shots and only harvested two. This weekend I went up and my Springers flushed about 18-birds in 6-hours and bagged three (unfortunately we had a 2-hour dry spell in an area that was productive last year). Very windy this weekend. Found birds in both high/thick ground and down in swamping creek areas. Just a dusting of snow on the ground. Love the Flush.

10/27/20 @ 1:36 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Just now got in from the forest in Iron county.  couple inches easy enough to get around.  Could be all melted by the wkend

10/27/20 @ 11:50 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Cantwork:

Not sure what Iron county looks like right now.  Last week it snowed every day from Tuesday through Friday.  I'd say there was 5"-6" on the ground when I left Saturday.  It was heavy and wet all week.  I only had shots at a handful of birds.  It was a tough trip. I know its cold up there right now so I don't know if it's melting at all but atleast the sun is out.  Good luck!

10/27/20 @ 9:55 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I've hunted that last couple of afternoons in the Bayfield County  there is about 5" in the woods,   Conditions are not ideal, its just enough snow to make it hard to get around, dogs are having to stop and chew snow/ice out of pads every so often.  If I had anything else better to do I would have stayed home.  I have flushed 6 birds in about 4 hrs of hunting bagged 3. 

10/27/20 @ 9:25 AM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10

Does anyone have some information on snow depth in Iron / Ashland county area.   I'd like to get up this weekend but don't want to drive all the way up if there is a lot of snow on the ground.

Thanks.

10/23/20 @ 11:13 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Hunted Iron and Vilas this week. Monday was great. The rest of the week was pretty much a bust thanks to heavy snow, wind and rain. Hunted hard all day Friday and moved three grouse and two woodcock. We managed to bag only one grouse and one woody today. We hit deadfall and conifers expecting more action. Disappointing.  I hate hunting in the snow but had no choice this week. Conditions should improve in the coming days. 

10/21/20 @ 11:19 AM
Outdoor Freak!
User since 9/26/19

From my experience a few inches of snow doesn’t affect habitat locations much.  More snow and cold tends to make them want to seek heavy blow-down type cover.  With heavy snow and cold, I typically find birds in heavy blow-down cover consistently and look for that type of cover exclusively.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,293 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.