Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,285 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 12:13 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Hunted Iron and Vilas this week. Monday was great. The rest of the week was pretty much a bust thanks to heavy snow, wind and rain. Hunted hard all day Friday and moved three grouse and two woodcock. We managed to bag only one grouse and one woody today. We hit deadfall and conifers expecting more action. Disappointing.  I hate hunting in the snow but had no choice this week. Conditions should improve in the coming days. 

10/21/20 @ 12:19 PM
Outdoor Freak!
User since 9/26/19

From my experience a few inches of snow doesn’t affect habitat locations much.  More snow and cold tends to make them want to seek heavy blow-down type cover.  With heavy snow and cold, I typically find birds in heavy blow-down cover consistently and look for that type of cover exclusively.

10/21/20 @ 11:22 AM
iceman69
User since 1/15/02

I was up in Oneida Co. last week doing some grouse hunting.  Saw more birds this year than I have in the past 2 years so that was encouraging.  Managed to get a couple.  I am heading up again tomorrow for a few days.  My question is this - I have never hunted them when there has been more than a dusting of snow on the ground.  With the recent snowfall and another inch or two forecast for tomorrow, should I change tactics?  I hunt the trails with no dog.  Will the 4-6 inches of snow push them to other habitat or is that something that happens later on in Winter!

10/18/20 @ 9:38 PM
brookie14
User since 3/8/12

Was lucky enough to get my one and only grouse hunt in for the year. What a beautiful weekend to be hunting the Ladysmith area. Snow on the tent and damp woods the dog was not happy with the wet condition. Saw some grouse in the usual haunts, nothing like it was twenty years ago. We use to hunt without a dog and had as many flushes in a day as we do now with a dog. Anyway, Thank goodness the wood cock were in the area. Birds were very spotty for us. Saw more wood cock than grouse. Just remember we are the number one predator in the woods. The limit may be five but be a conservationist and self limit yourself to a few meals. (we have not figured out how to raise these birds to restock them(pheasants)) I was lucky enough to bring two grouse and 3 wood cock home and that will be a solid meal for us. As for number of hunters in the woods there were plenty of people hitting the cover. Which always happens the last two weeks of October. Good luck to all, enjoy Gods' greatest gift to the Sportsman. Long live the Grouse.

10/17/20 @ 9:30 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

The extent of the ammunition shortage is now evident. 

10/12/20 @ 10:55 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

The numbers aren't at historical peaks, but are much better than I expected. Flushed 27 grouse in 1/2 day hunting and shot a limit. I don't hunt woodcock, but saw quite a few. Birds in prime habitat away from road hunters. I have yet to see a bird along the road.

10/12/20 @ 8:40 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Iron river mi area , lots of birds flushed on our property.  Got one . No woodcock this weekend,  I think they've moved on. Saw quite a few two weeks ago.  Great time of year, good luck to all.

10/12/20 @ 9:36 AM
BirdDog815
BirdDog815
User since 3/11/17

Hunted Iron and Vilas counties this past weekend. Well, pretty much every weekend since the opener. Have been moving a ton of birds. We always move birds in years past but it seems this year the numbers are up. The last 3 days 2 of us moved 42 grouse and roughly 25 Woodcock. Not seeing the numbers of woodcock like we normally do this time of year. We managed a few grouse every day and limits of woodcock. Yesterday was my best day with just my dog and I hunting some new cover. Bagged a limit of woodcock and 3 grouse

10/12/20 @ 8:16 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Went up Friday and Saturday and hunted Price, Vilas and Iron counties. Running a new setter so I spent more time staring at my GPS and calling her in than I did focused on hunting. Very few birds moved in Chequamegon but there are still tons of leaves up and at one point it was 76 degrees and dry as heck. Moved to some old haunts in Vilas I have not hunted in a few years and happily moved a decent number of birds. Pup had me distracted and I shot poorly. No birds bagged. Hit northern Iron county Saturday morning and struck out in newer covers that had been great the last two years.  No birds moved.  After lunch, we moved to a cover I haven’t hunted in four years and we flushed 16 in about two hours. Again, still too many leaves but it was awesome to see (hear) birds.  The one bird I got a look at I managed to bag!  One shot fired all day put a bird in the pot. Back to training with the pup this week and then we head north for a week on the 19th.

Good luck out there. Be safe. 

10/7/20 @ 2:25 PM
150class
User since 8/24/01

Im up in Vilas Co now. The wind has really been blowing for the past 3 days. Leaves are coming down fast.  Found some birds earlier this week but its been tough sledding since. Only 3 woodys today. Warm weather probably slowed them up from coming down. On Sunday I counted over 10 trucks parked in areas I was checking out. Managed lands are getting pounded. I found parking area where guys pulled the breasts out of 6 grouse and left all the carcasses lay there. What a bunch of slobs. I took some pictures in case I ran into a CO. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,285 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.