Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,263 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/21/20 @ 1:15 PM
Dave5555
User since 5/13/14

Minnesota also has an interesting report - Apparently in years past, they had a good correlation between spring drumming counts, and that fall's hunting success as reported by hunters. In recent years, that correlation doesn't seem to work anymore - leading them to suspect that young grouse are not making it though the summer. Could be a few things, but as Brule100 stated, young grouse apparently don't do well with the virus - obviously some adults survive it based on the DNR's data. I've been hunting Iron county for many years - I'm seeing a few birds, but none that are clearly this years brood. Worries me....

9/21/20 @ 10:06 AM
Chuckdog
User since 9/21/20

Bernzy16 , I like that you noted about West Nile, but don't forget that grouse also can contract EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis). I took a grouse back in 2018 in Oneida county with a small breast. The bird was submitted to the DNR and confirmed to have EEE.

9/20/20 @ 7:13 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Just got back from the iron river mi.  area. Flushed a good number of birds , still a lot of leaves on the trees . Seems like good numbers. 

9/20/20 @ 7:18 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Friday, hunted a public area in Outagamie Co that I have not visited in a number of years.  Flushed 3 grouse where I have never seen them before.  The place was logged about 10 years ago and has grown up very thick.  Good to see them.  Well hear them in one case.

9/19/20 @ 5:13 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Lickey

Live in the Hayward area. Been seeing good numbers of grouse in areas I have been walking. Old logging trails.

9/18/20 @ 11:47 AM
Bernzy16
User since 2/22/04

Been seeing plenty of birds in Price County. Never really had a really bad year up here. 1999 was the BEST year ever, and I haven't had a year like that since but always decent-excellent. I've been hunting the same public land for 20 years now, and over that time I've seen habitat and stands of timber age out of being good grouse habitat. Have to adjust accordingly and find other logging activity. A few birds I've shot had signs of WN (little breast meat, emaciated looking) which is unfortunate, but not bad enough to stop hunting or blame it for no birds. Put the miles in, beat some brush, and go get em! Over that time I've also been busting more and more woodcock too which is great to see. 

9/18/20 @ 10:36 AM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

Heading up to hunt in the Black River State Forest next week and then up to Rusk and Sawyer county area the weekend after. Anyone have any reports from these areas?

Thanks,

Lickey

9/17/20 @ 10:24 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

Search PA.gov for the study on WNV in ruffed grouse populations.  There is the scientific data in a pdf. 

9/17/20 @ 9:02 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Brule - Can you show me where you got that information in regards to WNV?

9/16/20 @ 10:41 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

The habitat has never been better for grouse in NW WI. Still low # of birds for a cyclical "peak". This is likely a direct result of WNV. Anecdotally, there are many broods observed in the summer. Most disappear before the season opens. WNV has an extremely high mortality rate from lab studies on grouse chicks. You can connect the dots. Dead grouse do not make it to the DNR sample surveys submitted by hunters, and therefore, are not included in any data.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,263 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.