Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,258 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 11:47 AM
Bernzy16
User since 2/22/04

Been seeing plenty of birds in Price County. Never really had a really bad year up here. 1999 was the BEST year ever, and I haven't had a year like that since but always decent-excellent. I've been hunting the same public land for 20 years now, and over that time I've seen habitat and stands of timber age out of being good grouse habitat. Have to adjust accordingly and find other logging activity. A few birds I've shot had signs of WN (little breast meat, emaciated looking) which is unfortunate, but not bad enough to stop hunting or blame it for no birds. Put the miles in, beat some brush, and go get em! Over that time I've also been busting more and more woodcock too which is great to see. 

TODAY @ 10:36 AM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

Heading up to hunt in the Black River State Forest next week and then up to Rusk and Sawyer county area the weekend after. Anyone have any reports from these areas?

Thanks,

Lickey

9/17/20 @ 10:24 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

Search PA.gov for the study on WNV in ruffed grouse populations.  There is the scientific data in a pdf. 

9/17/20 @ 9:02 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Brule - Can you show me where you got that information in regards to WNV?

9/16/20 @ 10:41 PM
Brule100
User since 3/6/18

The habitat has never been better for grouse in NW WI. Still low # of birds for a cyclical "peak". This is likely a direct result of WNV. Anecdotally, there are many broods observed in the summer. Most disappear before the season opens. WNV has an extremely high mortality rate from lab studies on grouse chicks. You can connect the dots. Dead grouse do not make it to the DNR sample surveys submitted by hunters, and therefore, are not included in any data.

9/15/20 @ 1:03 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I think the number 1 reason for a decline in any area is habitat.  Forests age too much. 

9/15/20 @ 10:20 AM
Tealioitis
User since 4/5/13

Used to love hunting in forest county dating back to the eighties. Seems every cycle is weaker than the last. What’s changed?? More coyotes, wolves, bears, and turkey maybe have something to do with it?

9/12/20 @ 10:50 AM
Tatertotives
User since 7/24/20

Any one seeing any grouse around Lincoln or Taylor counties WI - and are the leaves starting change yet

TYIA

9/8/20 @ 7:33 PM
wam80
User since 1/31/09

Ok, so I’ll put necedah on a maybe list.  Anyone have an outlook for Jackson and Clark county?  

9/4/20 @ 9:25 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

wam80 - I'm hunting N.WI before Thanksgiving.  And honestly, I don't hunt down there much anymore. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,258 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.