SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

2022 Pheasant Hunting

5/1/22 @ 5:04 PM
INITIAL POST
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19

With the finding of the bird flu in several different locations in Wisconsin. What are everyone's thoughts on what the DNR will do for production and release numbers. May your dogs work good and your shot be true come October.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 67 posts
10/20/22 @ 5:37 AM
Tacoeye
User since 7/28/16

10 month old Ava on point at a chukar! # da koda kennels& waterman creek kennels!

2022 Pheasant Hunting photo by Tacoeye
10/18/22 @ 9:23 PM
Ranger519VX
User since 6/27/05

Hunted Scuppenong this evening and scratched one out. Hit another hen, puffed some feathers off it an the bird sailed a ways in the wind. Some other “hunter” saw it and took his dog and ran over to the area it landed to look for it.  Not kidding.  

2022 Pheasant Hunting photo by Ranger519VX
10/18/22 @ 7:42 AM
Bdub
User since 5/19/10

They’re gonna be fast up in this wind. Make sure to lead em!

2022 Pheasant Hunting photo by Bdub
10/17/22 @ 6:12 PM
Bdub
User since 5/19/10

2022 is off and running. Surprised how few hunters were out. Granted I hunted later in the day, but odd. Good luck this year everyone. 

10/7/22 @ 8:50 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

The couple preseason stockings I've witnessed have always been the week prior leading into the Saturday opener.

10/7/22 @ 8:15 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

Even if I was carrying a firearm I would not have been breaking the law unless I shot at or harvested a Pheasant.  Grouse and Woodcock are open as well as waterfowl if I had the proper licensing.  Anyways, I don't think anyone even attempted to answer my question.  When does the stocking usually take place?  The DNR website says one stocking prior to season but, doesn't really give a timeline of a week prior, a month prior.  When I used to be part of stocking we always did an August plant and then planted more the week prior to opener.

Tacoeye,

The DNR can give me as many tickets as they want but, not much is going to stick where I come from.  Besides, there are no dog training restrictions where I was and you can actually harvest hens during the season as they claim zero nesting possibilities in this area.  The Woodcock are generally mixed right in with the pheasants.  And for your information, I'd love to be at my place up North chasing grouse.  But, the fact of the matter is that I have to work and it's not realistic for me to drive an hour and a half each way to run the pups for an hour.  Thank you for the advice though.  Also, it's not the end of the world if some of those birds end up on private land, may aid sustainability a little bit.

10/5/22 @ 3:09 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

He was probably not carrying a firearm. You cannot restrict access from other open seasons like migratory birds. 

10/5/22 @ 2:17 PM
Tacoeye
User since 7/28/16

well actually that is incorrect, certain state natural areas prohibit it and all Federal lands prohibit it..... Law states: dogs must be leashed while on property unless engaged in hunting during the open hunting season that is targeted. DNR agent ticketed a guy on the peter helland wildlife area a couple seasons ago as he was flushing pheasants on the thursday before the opener.

10/5/22 @ 12:42 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

There is no law against running your dogs on public hunting tracts. Nesting season there are limitations. If your planting birds and training,  yes training permits are required at allocated dnr hunting grounds. 

Dove season and waterfowl seasons are all underway. If your dog puts a few birds in the air. whatever. Law is only broken if you harvest out of season. 

10/5/22 @ 12:05 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Pheasant season opens this year on Saturday the 15th of October. Just don’t want anyone to get a ticket for running/training dogs on stocked property before that date. 

Some of the hunt clubs will let you train on the property after a big tower shoot or on a day they are closed to hunting.  Might have to pay a fee if you aren’t a member though.

10/5/22 @ 11:33 AM
Tacoeye
User since 7/28/16

pheasant season is open? where?, 

10/5/22 @ 8:25 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Dove season is open. You can use dogs

10/5/22 @ 7:51 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

It's hunting season right now...you can do as you like.

10/5/22 @ 5:11 AM
Tacoeye
User since 7/28/16

A few things to note:

1:letting your dog run at large(off leash) on public lands that are known to be stocked and even if not stocked is considered harassing wildlife.+ illegal 

2: the dnr has dog training licenses and public land designated as dog training areas

3: if the dnr put the pheasants out earlier than the week of the opener, people like you would have all the birds flushed out of the fields and onto private land/marshes . Go up north and run grouse , go to a pheasant farm and hunt or buy a dta license and do it yourself. Stay off of the pheasant fields.

9/28/22 @ 11:00 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

When do they let birds go generally.  I had always thought there was an early release and then one closer to the opener.  I was on some public ground last night that is scheduled to have quite a few released.  We didn't have any pheasant flushes and didn't even hear any cackles towards dusk which is unusual for this area when it's planted.  I ended up taking the dogs into some wooded areas so they could at least get a nose full of woodcock.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 67 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE