MORE
Turkey Hunting

Winchester SXP Turkey

8/4/21 @ 1:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Anyone have any experience with the Winchester SXP Turkey models at all (LongBeard, NWTF, Hybrid Turkey, etc)? I have an older Remington 870 that has a lot of sentimental value that I just spent many hours stripping, sanding and refinishing the walnut stock on and I don't want to beat it all up turkey hunting. It also has a 28" barrel, which I don't like for turkey hunting due to the length and weight (makes the gun barrel heavy and hits every branch above your head when walking through the woods with it slung on your shoulder).

My uncle has a couple of the Winchester NWTF Model 1300's that he speaks very highly of. I realize the SXP is imported from Turkey and not made in the USA and they had some issues with the action bar welds breaking on some of the early ones in 2013 and 2014, but looking for first hand experience from someone here that may own one. They are priced about the same as a Mossberg 500, but I have a 20 gauge Mossberg and cannot STAND the forend rattle on them. It is 2021 and Mossberg 500's have had that problem for 40 years and they have not addressed it, which is unacceptable to me. The SXP, from what I felt when I handled one, seemed like a nice, tight shotgun for $400-450. I don't want to spend $600+ on a turkey gun that is going to be carried through wet foliage, in the rain/snow, etc. I'm happy with how my stock turned out on the 870 and would rather not spend 60+ hours refinishing it again in the future. I guess I'm only looking for first hand info, not the "my daddy's brother's friend's uncle's boss heard from a guy..." kind of thing. If no one has info, I may just take a gamble and try one. It isn't a gun that I'm going to put 10,000 rounds through shooting trap or sporting clays. It will be set up and used primarily for turkey hunting.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
9/4/21 @ 5:16 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Finally got my LongBeard XR choke and had a chance to go shoot my SXP with it installed...I was blown away! As expected, the .665 constriction really tightened things up! The two posted targets were shot at 50 yards with LongBeard XR 3" 1 3/4 oz #6's...I don't shoot at birds that far, but I am impressed nonetheless! Shot the first one and thought it was a fluke, so I shot a second one...NOPE! Shot #1 had 41 hits in the lethal areas and shot #2 had like 34 hits. I did not shoot it at 30 or 40 yards, but the results will obviously be even better! May have to be careful inside 20 or 25 yards...

8/17/21 @ 3:57 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Only had time to shoot the stock Winchester Invector Plus X-Full Turkey flush mount choke, but the results were pretty impressive for a stock choke! Shot 3" LongBeard XR's in #5 and #6, Winchester Supreme HV #6 and Remington Premier 3" 2 oz #6. Out to 40 or 45 yards, all of them will kill a turkey, no problem! Some were better (more even) than others, but all are turkey killers. Still going to try the aftermarket chokes to see if any are better, but as-is I'm liking what I'm seeing!

8/17/21 @ 12:38 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Well, here it is...going to shoot it tomorrow with the stock turkey choke and a handful of turkey chokes a buddy of mine has. With any luck, I should be able to find a choke/load combo it likes. I added the TruGlo Gobble Dot Pro fiber optic sights, which are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. That way when I find the best patterning choke, I can adjust the sights so POA and POI are the same.

8/10/21 @ 11:47 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Well, I decided to take the plunge and bought the SXP Hybrid Turkey (which is a Cabela's/Bass Pro exclusive). First impression is it is a light, tight turkey gun. The 24" barrel will be much more maneuverable than my 870 field barrel (28" + extended turkey choke) and unlike any Mossberg 500, the forend does not rattle...at all. For the money, it seems like a nice shotgun. The customer service rep at Winchester lied to me when he said that ALL turkey SXP receivers are drilled and tapped for a Weaver rail, but I will let it slide, I guess. For $350, it's actually a very nice shotgun. The trigger is heavier than my 870, but I don't think it is the 10# trigger some have complained about. I'd guess 7-8#ish. I will say one thing...I always field strip, clean and lube ALL of my new guns before shooting them and hands down, this is the EASIEST pump I've ever taken apart...take off the magazine tube cap, slide off the barrel, drop the trigger assembly and the bolt and everything slides right out the front of the receiver. No lining up the bolt on the action bars or trying to hold pieces into the sides of the receiver while you slide the bolt in...I will post once I have a chance to pattern it, but so far for the money spent, I'm pleasantly surprised. Without the ability to add a red dot, I will probably add a set of TruGlo fiber optic sights for early morning hunts and/or when the foliage starts to get thick. Fiber optic sights are just easier to pick up in the woods for me than a brass bead. They also help on close shots with tight chokes and LongBeard XR's. Patterns at 20 yards are only slightly larger than a baseball with my 870 and a Tight Wad .660 choke...doesn't take much to miss if a bird pop up close on you!

8/4/21 @ 9:53 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

mikey913,

Glad to hear they like them. I HATE pistol grips as they seem to snag on everything when you're walking through the woods! From what I can gather, the difference between the SXP LongBeard and NWTF model is the pistol grip stock and the Carlson LongBeard XR choke vs Invector Plus XF Turkey. Those two things apparently add $125-150. I will try the Invector Plus XF Turkey and see how it patterns and go from there...I figure that $150 savings is 3-4 turkey chokes?

8/4/21 @ 5:30 PM
mikey913
User since 2/17/05

Both of my cousins have the SXP Long Beard shotgun and love them. The only recommendation I would make is getting the pistol grip version as it will be more comfortable for shooting and long sits. As the gun and Long beard ammo were developed together you are looking at a serious 45 to 50 yard turkey gun out of the box with no further investment when using the Winchester Long Beard ammo. 

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/current/sxp-long-beard-mossy-oak-break-up-country.html

8/4/21 @ 4:03 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Thanks. My main concern was the quality. I don't expect it to be a high-end Italian shotgun, but don't want a POS either. Like I said in my initial post, I'd buy another Mossberg if it weren't for the insane amount of slop in the forend. I think I might just take the plunge and see. I haven't seen a shotgun out there that won't pattern well with Long Beard #5 or #6...

8/4/21 @ 12:00 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

I bought the 20 gauge long beard, well made, took a little experimentation with some different loads to pattern, light and balanced.   Due to guns shortages, bought sight unseen, problem is that it doesn't fit me, drop is off to the point I can't get cheek down on stock and have a hard time being accurate in the field.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE