Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What is your turkey blaster?

4/16/14 @ 7:48 PM
ORIGNAL POST
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07
my buddy just bought one and will be shooting out to 50 yards.

I'll be using the 12 gauge savage 3.5" shells

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/30/14 @ 5:10 PM
walleyebeef
walleyebeef
User since 7/10/11
Touche Mani. This week is my uncle's week and I hunt his land so I am hoping he gets a bird, then its very possible I may be back out.

4/30/14 @ 1:41 PM
walleyebeef
walleyebeef
User since 7/10/11
I agree as well. I shot that bird with the gun I'm thinking about painting and didn't have an issue. Its just old and looks crappy. I don't want to spend the money on re-bluing. Plus when you think "turkey gun", camo seems to make sense. Thanks ditto and bobber boy. I think I'm gonna give it a try but it might be a while. I have until next season!

4/30/14 @ 12:46 PM
Bobberboy
User since 12/11/03
I agree Mani, by the time the birds see it, it's too late ..Only painted mine due to after two blue jobs(hehe) I was done with that & went to painting it.. I will be out tomorrow, layfayette county ready to put a hurt on ole tommy boy !!

4/30/14 @ 10:07 AM
Bobberboy
User since 12/11/03
I just scuffed mine up.. Most of my bluing was gone anyway. I probably repaint mine every 3 years or so.. All depends on wear & if I'm feeling ambitious to make it look different.

4/30/14 @ 9:58 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I didn't remove the blueing, I just painted over it. I had the first paint job on for about 4 years and this year decided to strip it down and paint it again, the paint is pretty durable though.

4/29/14 @ 8:58 PM
walleyebeef
walleyebeef
User since 7/10/11
So...do you guys just remove the blue with sand-paper and then just buy any synthetic stock, tape it off and start painting? Also, it sounds like you have to paint it every year or two then?

4/29/14 @ 4:42 PM
Bobberboy
User since 12/11/03
I don't have any pics, but I have been painting my gun for quite a few years. I use the same paint as ditto stated & he is correct you should start with the lightest color & work your way out to the darkest. What I do is use oak leaves as a stencil. This year I used a branch with the oak leave & the branch piece I used looks just like a turkey track.. Kind of cool looking.

4/29/14 @ 3:56 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
walleyebeef, My 870 is about 25 years old and is a workhorse; left in the bottom of duck boats, rained on turkey hunting, stuck in snow banks coyote hunting, etc. I got sick of taping it up every year for turkey hunting so a couple years ago I decided to paint it. I was concerned at first but I took it apart and taped up the openings for the trigger mechanism and the front of the receiver and bot ends of the barrel, hung them on the clothes line and started painting. I used Krylon camo paint that's available at Fleet Farm and started with the lighter color and then progressed up to black. This year I put a Pro Mag pistol grip stock on it so I stripped it all down with acetone and re-painted it. It's not pretty or perfect but it conceals it just fine and you can take it off if you ever want to.

Another option would be to have it CeriCoated but that will run around $200, it will look better but like I said my 870 is a beater, it's like a hammer - not pretty but it keeps working!

4/29/14 @ 3:51 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Have killed many toms with my Remington 11-87. Extra full choke, 3 in mag in #4 or #5. 55 yds is the longest kill with it.

I have killed several with a plain full choke.

4/29/14 @ 10:46 AM
walleyebeef
walleyebeef
User since 7/10/11
Speaking of turkey blasters, has anyone done there own camo paint job on a gun. That Remington is tired looking and before I owned it my Dad had a friend try re-bluing it and it looks terrible. I was thinking of getting some synthetic stocks and painting the entire gun camo and just wanted to see if anyone had pictures or opinions of the best way to do it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.