SEARCH
MORE
Turkey Hunting

Turkey hunting earlier season opener question 27 spring hearings vote yes

3/19/20 @ 3:08 PM
INITIAL POST
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Please take the time to vote in the 72 hour online voting for the spring hearings this year April 13. About 4 years ago the seasons got pushed back a week the primary excuses when it was brought up in the spring hearings were better weather and a end date that would always include Memorial weekend so guys could better schedule vacation. Well as the seasons go on the bugs get worse the temperature rises it's just not so much fun. As the question is presented it states that biologically an earlier season may be harmful but i think the first 26 years of our season starting earlier is pretty good proof we had a good thing going. It's going to be 4 years this year of the later start and do you know the way it is next years last season ends in June. Permits are now drawn and applicants are notified in December so scheduling vacation is no longer an excuse. Please vote yes to an earlier turkey season.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
4/17/21 @ 6:35 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I think the week long seasons are needed and appreciated just as much on private land as it gives the land owner the oppourtunity to let numerous people hunt the different seasons instead of everyone having the same season.

4/15/21 @ 10:07 AM
davikingssuck9
User since 4/15/14

The private land I hunt would be packed opening week if that happened. I would vote keep the season the way it is. Memorial day weekend was some of my best hunting last year

4/15/21 @ 6:38 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

In my opinion, turkey season should open April 1. I also think they should get rid of the season structure for private land. If you hunt private land, your tag should be good the entire season. Leave the 6 different seasons in place for public to help ease the pressure. 

4/14/21 @ 6:28 PM
rock river
User since 7/26/07

Some things are just better left alone.. I feel like turkeys are on a downhill swing here in the state. I spend alot of time on the road and in the woods and am just not seeing the birds last couple years here. Going to be a tough hunt this year

4/14/21 @ 5:19 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

The sad part it this passed statewide last year overwelmingly and should have been on the DNR side of the questions this year so it would get changed back next year to the season opening on the Wednesday before April 15 as it was for 25 years. It seems that Alaina Gerrits (DNR assistant upland ecologist) with the DNR is against the earlier opener so the question is not on the docket. This change to the later opener was prompted by a citizen resolution to start a week later so the kids wouldnt have to hunt in the cold and the last season would coincide with Memorial weekend now it seems they have concocted the idea that we will kill to many toms before the hens get bread. Pretty sure we have a great history of populating the the state with an earlier opener. 

4/14/21 @ 8:03 AM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/03

rock river, unfortunately it is just the way the calendar falls.  It happens with the Deer Archery and Gun openers, the waterfowl opener, fishing, etc.  It will cycle back around to an earlier date.  I believe in 2024 we'll be back up to the 17th of April for our opening date.

4/14/21 @ 6:24 AM
rock river
User since 7/26/07

This later season is ridiculous. I only have 11acres of woods to hunt and by the time it greens up the birds have moved on to their summer areas. Not seeing much for birds or bird sign here in S central WI. Especially on an early spring like this it has really ruined my son's youth hunt and now I have to hunt opening weekend of fishing. Might be the 1st year I don't hunt in the last decade. Really don't see the reasoning behind this. We are only allowed to take male or bearded birds. What does the DNR care if we shoot them in the snow or not.

4/13/20 @ 8:12 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Voting is open. Please vote .

4/10/20 @ 8:28 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Just a reminder online voting starts Monday  April 13 at 7pm 

3/20/20 @ 6:31 AM
Donski
User since 8/11/14

I agree vote yes get the Spring Turkey opener back to where it was a week earlier.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE