Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Calling to Turkeys on the Roost

5/19/14 @ 12:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
I'm new to turkey hunting and looking for advice. This past Saturday morning I got setup in my ground blind with a hen and jake decoy out. I was settled in a little after 4:00 AM. I had a hen in the roost about 75 yards from me and she was making a great deal of tree clucks/yelps for about 20-30 minutes before light. There were 4 different gobblers in different directions ranging from about 100-150 yards that were gobbling to her.

My question is, what kind of calling or techniques, do you find to be the most effective when you have birds roosted relatively close to your setup that are very actively communicating to each other?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Adam

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/15/15 @ 5:43 AM
yelptom
yelptom
User since 4/12/15
Hopefully the birds are dispersed from the winter flock and more vounerable to calling this weekend compared to last weekend

4/14/15 @ 1:20 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Morning hunts can be frustrating...I only call until I know he is answering me and not just randomly gobbling. I usually won't call after that until I think he's on the ground. Your not going to call him out of the tree any faster than when he is good and ready to (in my opinion). If he answers , he knows where you are.

4/14/15 @ 7:02 AM
yelptom
yelptom
User since 4/12/15
I never have any luck at tree calling in early morning... I've had them gobbling like crazy but they seem to still go where want to....8be heard that the girls get jelous and lead the tom away? Wonder if it's best to not tree call or any call till flydown? At least early season anyway

5/21/14 @ 4:15 PM
Jackal
Jackal
User since 5/19/05
Same situation this past week. I find when a gobbler is roosted near hens it gets difficult to pull him down in range with just a few soft tree yelps and then silence. I have had more luck imitating the first hen to fly down. Often after sitting in roost all night, he will be eager to fly down to that first hen (especially if he has been sitting in the rain all night). I want to be that first hen! The more birds on the ground, the more difficult the game gets. If he gobbles at your first sleepy tree yelps, he knows you are there. However, if the roosted hens start to get rambunctious and vocal then you have to amp it up to be the most desirable object in a tree. Then get out of that tree first! The sound of fake wing beats with your cap and a fly down cackle is your best bet. He is almost guaranteed to be taking the trip back to your car on your shoulder if you can get set up close into position between him and the hens prior to fly down.

The other morning I ghosted down a treeline on an old cut cornfield in the predawn darkness after placing my buddy's 16 year old son next to a box elder grove poking out into the field. These public land birds had been hunted hard so I told myself no calling. But I'm a bad listener, or so my wife says. I let out two soft tree yelps and a gobbler responded closer than I could have imagined. I waited 2 minutes then aggressively flapped my hat while simulating an excited fly down cackle. It was all the old boy could take. He broke from the hens in the tree and flew right into my lap. He was a wise old bird with a 9 3/4 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs, one of which was busted half off undoubtedly from teaching some of the younger upstarts a lesson in the sweet science of fighting and the sweeter art of breeding. I could see his wheels spinning when he touched down and saw there was no hen to be had. As he quickly turned to abort mission I swear I watched his face turn red from embarrassment when he realized he was the one who had been had. A 3 inch load of 6 shot reminded him of his fatal mistake; ladies first.

5/20/14 @ 9:33 AM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
I would just do some soft purs and yelps after! you hear a gobble then if he answers shut up until suns up and their on the ground.

5/20/14 @ 9:25 AM
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
Thanks for the feedback, SJB. So what I did on Saturday is I pretty much cut the hen off and mimicked what she did just about every time she would yelp or cluck on the roost. I never heard or saw the hen or the toms once they hit the ground. However, about two hours later I called in a tom way off in the distance from the opposite direction that the hen and toms were roosted.

I am going to go try the same spot again Thursday morning. My plan is to wait a bit before I start calling to here what is all roosted in the area. If I hear a hen roosted in the area I'll do a few soft tree yelps to let the toms know I'm in the area and then I'll just shut up. If I don't hear any hens roosted in the area I may do more tree yelps to try and get the toms fired up.

Anyone else have other advice?

5/19/14 @ 1:16 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
Start off real soft. You should have heard this from the hen as well. Become louder as the day progresses until then come down. Your in a tough spot with an active hen right there, but if you can fire up the toms, I will do this and usually shut up and make them come looking. Another approach would be to really fire up the hen if you can and if she is dominate, she will come into your spread and toms following. Replicate everything she does. So it is kind of a situation by situation basis.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.