SEARCH
MORE
Turkey Hunting

bearded hens

5/12/19 @ 7:26 PM
INITIAL POST
woody59
User since 1/17/12

Are bearded hens common? Hunting last week in Marinette county I saw 3 bearded hens on one property. I only saw one before seeing these 3. Just wondering if we had a bunch of cross dressers.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
9/17/20 @ 12:19 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Maybe not a full beard , but kind of wispy.  Usually when their older  !

9/14/20 @ 7:07 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01

This would be a bearded hen correct? Never seen one before, was in my backyard today.

5/14/19 @ 9:08 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Had 1 running around the house for 3 years. Called her "The Lunch Lady". Neighbor got her and aint seen one in the 3 years since.
5/14/19 @ 5:22 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Bearded hen? I think they prefer to be called gender neutral!!  Lol

5/14/19 @ 8:15 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

DNR website states less than 5% of hens have beards and they can reproduce, I didn't see any info on genetics as far as them passing on that trait or if it comes from the Gobbler.

5/13/19 @ 4:01 PM
gillfinder25
User since 12/17/09

Shot one the other day.

bearded hens photo by gillfinder25
5/13/19 @ 10:33 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
first time ever hunting I passed on 3 of them, this was 10ish years ago.. now I see typically 3-4 each season.. Whether they not as uncomming as you'd think, or just more abundant due to the overall rise in Turkey numbers, i'm not sure.. but they're seem to be enough around. 
5/13/19 @ 8:30 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

We're seeing more and more female turkeys identifying as Toms these days. Accept it or you will be labeled a dinosaur!

5/12/19 @ 10:34 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

One in ten thousand is not that common, to see three is really uncommon. I have never seen one alive but my brother harvested one several years back. I just got back today from my turkey hunt in the same county as you, never heard one gobble all week but did fill my tag Friday afternoon as three Toms snuck in on my decoys.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE