LOGIN
Lake-Link

2021 turkey reports

2/26/21 @ 6:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
rufflefeather
rufflefeather
USER SINCE 10/23/20
also Can Anyone tell me if its legal to use lead shot on public land for turkey ?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 49 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/8/21 @ 1:46 PM
big mac
MEMBER SINCE 2/19/02

Cold & quiet morning! Not a peep anywhere!

Big Mac 

5/8/21 @ 4:04 AM
big mac
MEMBER SINCE 2/19/02

Heading out this morning. Hunting south of Hatfield. South of Hwy 54.

Big Mac 

5/7/21 @ 6:11 PM
MightyHunter
USER SINCE 3/25/06

Was able to fill my tag Thursday 5/7

Shot him about 745 in the morning. Came in with 3 hens and another Tom. Both full strut right into the decoys. Had roughly 6-8 different birds gobbling all morning. Finally got these two to commit. Very cool watching these bird work in!

10 yard shot

9.5 inch beard

19lbs

Attached a picture of the birds toe on one side. I like turkey hunting but it's bass fishing season now!

5/7/21 @ 5:57 AM
rikj
rikj
USER SINCE 7/29/01

Nice job with the turkeys guys, nice to see some old timers and new hunters with success!

I always get 1st time period but drew 3rd this year. Filled my tag 5/5/21 at 6:50am. I had turkeys all around from 4:30am on until I shot. This one came into the decoys @ 20 yards with a bigger one about 30 yards. I took the sure thing and I hope to get the big boy in 2 weeks when my 2nd tag comes up. The big guy attacked the one on the ground and then my decoys after the shot. I could see 4 different Toms fanned out when I shot. I sit in a cattail marsh on the edge of an overgrown field that the turkeys love. Perfect natural blind but wet enough to keep most of the other public land guys away. 21.8# and a 10.5" scraggly beard, not much for spurs one at 1" and one 7/8".

Last year it took me 7 days of the first season and 3 days of the 3rd season to connect ( about 50 hours).  This year done in less than two hours, that's turkey hunting I guess.............

Also had a big mink stalk the decoys and stand up on it's back legs trying to sort things out.

To the guys with tags left don't give up, I shot my biggest bird on the last morning of the season 21 years ago on a cold rainy morning when I should have stayed in bed. It had been a terrible season up until that point..........Good luck all!

5/7/21 @ 12:31 AM
joeywadu
USER SINCE 5/13/02

That's awesome voldie.

My dad is 80 and we also had smiling faces..I hope I can go if I make it til 85

Wadu

5/5/21 @ 4:49 PM
voldie
USER SINCE 2/8/11

Not my bird but always nice when your hunting buddy (85 year old father) gets the bird and then it just doesn't matter if you get one.

5/5/21 @ 3:24 PM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Nice Bird! Congrats!

5/5/21 @ 11:01 AM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
USER SINCE 2/9/03

This morning I shot bird number 2 on the season and he did almost everything they're supposed to do. I arrived at my lease a little before first light and with no scouting in, I made my way to a ridgetop that typically holds birds in the spring and fall.  I let out a couple of crow calls and nothing. This concerned me, but I wasn't overly worried with the history this spot has had.  I made my way west and chose a nice pinch point to setup on in the corner of the property.  As soon as I sat down I heard a bird gobble in the opposite direction of where I was facing.  I quick got up, set my decoys to my east and got back to work.  I made 3 yelps and nothing.  So I grabbed my new Weathered Oaks pot call, made a few soft yelps and purrs and nothing.  I figured I was just going to sit here and wait at this point since I knew a bird was there, I just didn't know how close he was. Sure enough a crow flies over and caws and the bird lights up at approximately 100 yards away.  I grabbed my pot call again, let out a few yelps and purrs and just waited.  After that I heard the bird fly down and immediately saw him strutting at 100 yards.  I could just tell this bird was going to work my way.  He was drumming, spitting and strutting the entire distance, only letting out a gobble when the crows pissed him off.  I picked out one gap where my decoys were to take a shot, at this distance he would be 41 yards from me and well onto our land to safely make a shot. Sure enough, he follows his line right to this gap and pops out at 41 yards.  He continues to strut and work his way to my decoy.  I took the shot at 30 yards and the #5/6 TSS dropped him like a stone.  It was 20 minutes from opening light to the time I shot this bird.  He had an 11" beard and 1" spurs.  I didn't get to weigh him, however he was surprisingly light compared to the bird I shot opening week.  I love these spring mornings in the woods and I can't wait to do it again next week!. 

5/3/21 @ 2:15 PM
wallstreet
USER SINCE 9/10/15

Haven't been on the trigger for anything in a while with kids coming of age and a wife that decided if she couldn't beat em, join em and start hunting. Nobody wanted to get up and go along Saturday morning so I went alone. Wasn't half way through my mug of coffee and enjoying all the gobbles when three hens came through with a nice gobbler following not far behind. Nice to pull the trigger once in a while. Life is good in the woods. 

5/3/21 @ 1:07 PM
percheye1
USER SINCE 6/24/01

Mighty Hunter congrats to you and your daughter. Great story and great bird. Made my season better just reading it.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 49 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.