Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2018 Spring Youth Hunt

3/9/18 @ 1:24 PM
ORIGNAL POST
DonnyMKE
User since 2/19/18

I am looking for everyone’s help. This year I plan on taking my 6 year old daughter out hunting. I usually hunt on the west side of the state, but this year I selected zone 2 because it is closer to where I live. Our plan is to hunt one day of the youth hunt, and then she received the first weekend on the drawing. I have seen posts in the past of gracious land owners offering their land for the youth hunt, and I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to do it again. If not any suggestions on where to hunt would be greatly appreciated. Knowing the attention span of a 6 year I am sure we will sit for as long as we can, but I want to try and give her a good first experience. Thanks again in advance on any help you all may be able to provide!

Ben

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/16/18 @ 9:50 AM
Del Roy
User since 2/17/14

Made the 10 hour round trip drive so my 12 year old could hunt for an hour in the snow, ice, and wind before harvesting his first turkey.  Priceless experience for both the young hunter and his dad!

4/16/18 @ 8:52 AM
hunting4keeps
hunting4keeps
User since 3/13/17

SJB that is just awesome!

4/16/18 @ 7:59 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Braved the elements and took out 2 youths this past weekend.  Was hoping to be out all weekend, but with a 35 mile drive, only made it out on Saturday morning for 3 hours.  Saw 1 bird.  Was a tom.  Pulled him in on a rope.  The 13 year old made a perfect shot.  25#'s, 11-7/8" beard.  Very happy kid!  Hopefully hooked for life. 

4/12/18 @ 11:41 AM
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

Were preparing for the worst hoping for the best.  Twelve year old grandson is ready to go, he got one last year so trying to make it two in a row.  Inside blind so should stay dry,  just a matter how active birds will be, can't shoot one if your not out there.

4/12/18 @ 1:36 AM
fullbarrel
fullbarrel
User since 6/4/03

Not the best conditions for this years youth hunt.  High of 35 sat.   Sunday 30deg.  Wind, rain, snow.  The turkeys are active at least

4/5/18 @ 9:02 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

SJB is right.  No one really cares that much about turkey.  I found most will let you if it's not hunted by family.  Deer hunting permission,  not that simple.

4/4/18 @ 7:52 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

My suggestion, go scout, find the land owner and then ask.  Not to be harsh, but jumping on a internet board and hoping for someone to offer up their land seems like there would be a better approach.  My son, now 13, walks up to a landowner and asks himself.  More times than not, the answer is yes.  And often it is just for the youth hunt, which I am fine with.  Take your daughter scouting, once you find the birds, grab your plat book, find the land owner and take your daughter with when you ask.  I believe it is that simple - but time consuming. 

3/10/18 @ 8:39 AM
DonnyMKE
User since 2/19/18
Either have I. We have been practicing with my crossbow, so we are going to use that. 

3/9/18 @ 9:11 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

I have never seen a girl that young crack a turkey load.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.