MORE
Trout Fishing

Whitefish

1/27/19 @ 10:46 PM
INITIAL POST
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

So since Whitefish and cisco don't got there own thread, going to troll in the trout forum since they close to the salmonid fam. Any advise info on whitefish and cisco on inland lakes in the northern highlands of Wisconsin. Looking for others tips and tactics and general discussion.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 68 posts
2/15/22 @ 1:21 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Since I've mastered the smoked whitefish, thought I try some pickled. Lets just say it turned out pretty good.

1/17/22 @ 9:39 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

No problem with minnows, just dis member them at home the night before you fish and keep in a zip loc with the bodies.    Crushed fatheads on jiggin raps are dynamite for walleyes.   Much better than live ones.    CARPIO 

1/15/22 @ 9:20 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

The orange uv caught me 3 fish today!

1/14/22 @ 9:11 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Got a couple new spoons to try this weekend!

Whitefish photo by grizwald
1/2/22 @ 11:05 AM
duckeyes
User since 12/17/08

Some Guides on Superior also use gulp minnows on spoons / jigging raps. I also try to make a trip by Sturgeon Bay at least once a year. 

1/2/22 @ 9:38 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Duckeyes

Just tip with waxies. Was thinking trying minnow heads but then I have to baby sit minnows. A guy would probably catch a few walleye with minnow heads as a bonus fish.

1/2/22 @ 7:56 AM
duckeyes
User since 12/17/08

Hi Griz, i gave up on using messenger. Whatever change they did sucks! What do you tip your spoons and jigging raps with? I ice fish out of ashland on superior and we get them on tip ups, automatics with shiners or smelt and also jigging with spoons and jigging raps tipped with minnow heads. They also hit wax worms on a slider hook about 6 to 8" about a spoon. Caught a 24 inch fish last winter about 2 feet below the ice in 30' of water. Thought it was a coho or herring when i saw it swimming below the hole.

1/1/22 @ 8:29 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

#2 jigging rap was the hot lure the other day. It caught the less aggressive fish.

1/1/22 @ 6:27 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Back at it again for the new year!

1/30/21 @ 8:42 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

They are some of the best eating fish around!       Deep fried 3 minutes using SHORE LUNCH BEER BATTER.      CARPIO 

1/23/21 @ 7:24 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Catch a bunch today! Some hit the deep fryer, and two full racks for smoking tomorrow during the NFC title game! Go Pack Go!

1/12/21 @ 10:35 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

I think the dnr dose not put to much effort in to there surveys. Think there is a lot more around then they think. There's even a few Lakes that have them that are not on this map.

1/11/21 @ 1:06 PM
FishChip
User since 2/2/17

Griz...the inland Whitefish population has been in trouble for quite some time. As you posted, down to only a couple of lakes with any left. Even then, the population in those lakes is thought to be low. I'm a bit surprised the DNR allows any harvest.

1/7/21 @ 7:21 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Couple maps I found interesting.

1/2/21 @ 6:34 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Was out today from 10 till 2 chasing whitefish. Managed four today 15, two 16 and a 20. Awesome day on the hard water.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 68 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE