MORE
Trout Fishing

Upstream vs Downstream

4/22/19 @ 8:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Do you prefer working your way up stream or down stream when trout fishing? I've heard arguments for both ways. Does it make a difference using spinners vs flies vs crawlers?

I prefer working upstream with spinners, unless the water is high, then down stream seems to work better for me.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
2/11/20 @ 6:23 PM
troutguy66
troutguy66
User since 10/13/19

I do the upstream walk and catch a ton of fish but if I wade back and fish I usually catch nothing, Also for those long walks where you are fishing alone go to a garage sale and buy a crappy bike for cheap and park it in the woods or under a bridge so after you make the hike from bridge to bridge and you are tired of walking you can just bike and coast back to your truck or car 

9/4/19 @ 8:47 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

1.25 miles one way is about my limit wading. So 2-3 miles round trip.

For longer trips take two people, park one vehicle downstream and put in kayaks up stream.

9/4/19 @ 10:42 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I've gone close to 3 miles one way before, but had a bridge and road to walk back.  combined it was close to 6 miles, and wading that far really is tiring.  It really depends on the shape you're in and how willing you are to adventure.  Also probably would be better to go on a cooler weather day.

9/4/19 @ 10:32 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Didn't feel like creating a new thread for this topic, so just figured I'd ask here. How far do you usually walk when fishing? What's the farthest you've gone?  In doing some more planning, it actually looks like it's 5+ miles as the crow flies to the pond I want to get to. Thinking that might be a little more difficult to do in a couple hours. 

4/28/19 @ 5:20 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

for spinners I walk up stream. That way If I see big trout that I spooked or didn't hit just swing and miss. I will come back down stream and hit them spots on the way back..I like the spinner to came down at about a 45 degree  angle.  For crawler fishing brookies it is always down stream. Lot of the time I walk up stream with out fishing just to walk it back to the parking spot.

4/25/19 @ 8:37 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Upstream and i try to find a spot that is a walkable distance that goes from one bridge to another so i can walk a solid road back to my car.  Or even better if i go with a friend bring two vehicles and park one at end bridge.

4/25/19 @ 8:20 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Nothing wrong with fishing along the way there! Looks to be a few miles at least with all the bends, so should be able to make it the full length over a few hours. And then I can fish upstream on the way back!

4/24/19 @ 1:07 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Browns are too wary for downstream fishing, except the little guys. Sneaking upstream is the only way I get big brown trout. I can do well fishing for brookie downstream tho, and for stocked rainbow. Long casts are needed however.

4/24/19 @ 12:20 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

In my vast experience (once last summer), I worked my way downstream, due mainly to the proximity of the parking area. And since I was using a spinner I figured this gave me the best retrieve angle. I've heard you should work upstream so fish aren't alerted to your presence, but I seemed to do ok in the short time I was out there. This summer I plan to work my way all the way to where it dumps into a really remote and decent sized pond. Should be a pretty fun hike! 

4/22/19 @ 7:40 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Upstream. Walk until tired, turn around and easy walk back.

4/22/19 @ 11:49 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

I am a spin-fishing guy and have caught fish both ways. Of course when I am actually walking in the stream then I am going upstream. I beleive this is just like other types of fishing and sometimes the fish like a faster retrieve or the action of the lure itself is different going in one direction and that triggers the strike.  

4/22/19 @ 11:42 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
I spinner fish and always wade upstream (retrieve downstream or with current).  I've caught fish casting downstream but not as much .  
4/22/19 @ 11:27 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Flies, dry flies upstream,wet flies mostly down stream,streamers mostly across and down.Spinners upstream most of the time but then across and down like streamers works well also.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE