Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Steelhead rod for drift and spinner lures

3/7/16 @ 1:57 PM
ORIGNAL POST
sstreub
User since 2/24/16
Considering St Croix Avid series (I have a $45 credit) and want opinions as to what length would be good for both drift fishing or tossing a PM?

Steven

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/21/16 @ 9:07 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Drift fishing and spinner fishing are two 100% different styles of fishing that require two different rods in my opinion. I wouldnt buy a drift rod under 9' and I wouldnt buy a spinner rod over 8' but thats me.

Having a good drift rod would be higher on my priority list then a spinning one. You need the sensitivity with the drift to feel every bump. I actually use a cheaper Sage fly rod for drift fishing steelhead. I put mono on it Ross fly reel and it works great. With a little practice your just as accurate, you just cant cast as far. I can tell the difference big time between my Gander Mountain Steelhead rod and that Sage though.

Just my personal opinion.

12/18/16 @ 12:21 PM
Big Hitter
Big Hitter
User since 3/11/12

Get an 8 or 8 1/2 foot spinning rod in medium light or flexible tip medium weight. 

5/16/16 @ 4:42 PM
Rough House
Captain Andy Platko
User since 6/19/15

Avids are great rods. Like the post below says, How big is the water your fishing? it really depends that.  The float rod that i use is a Shimano Clarus 11'3" and i use it on our local trout streams as well as the tribs for steelhead on lake Erie. Great rod for the money. I do occasionally use it to throw spinners as well but mostly use it with a CP reel.  Can be a little long at times for the local streams but thats about as short as im willing to go. 

Rough-House Charter
(724) 664-3136
3/8/16 @ 10:08 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
length is partly determined by what size of river you are fishing.

I like 10'6"....but it gets a little unwieldy in small streams and creeks. Then a 9' would be better in those places.

It is important to get the right action to cast spinners accurately. i had Elk River make me a custom rod to accomplish this. Most stock drift rods are too heavy or too moderate action to drift and cast equally effective.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.