SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Lacrosse,wi fishing

4/10/20 @ 1:17 AM
INITIAL POST
missippimugs
User since 9/14/16

I just moved to the lacrosse area. I heard that the trout fishing is pretty good around here. I've never fished streams. I was a big lake Fisher from Milwaukee. Anybody steer me in the tight direction as to where to fish. Baits? Live or fly? Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/22/20 @ 1:35 AM
go2fish
User since 9/19/10

missippi - read all, its good, get out there, keep trying and learning                                                 wini - yer good to go, get out there                                                                                                            good luck all, have fun, stay safe and enjoy the wonders      

4/21/20 @ 10:45 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

I solely fished trout using bait or inline spinners and lures since I started fishing trout as a kid. I was also intrigued however since a kid to get into fly fishing for trout. My fly fishing started with an old browning fly rod given to me by a family friend, and all I ever used it for was pan fish. Tied some mono to the fly line, tied on a popper, and caught fish. 2 years ago, I decided to take out the fly rod for the trout opener and finally give it a go on a stream in Jackson county I've fished since I was a kid, and always catch fish. I ended the morning extremely frustrated, as I didnt have a single hit on a stream I typically catch several fish, at least. At that point a person either quits and goes back to their methods that actually catch fish, or they keep trying. I became obsessed with figuring it out...haha. I had no mentor to learn fly fishing, so I read a ton. And watched every educational video on YouTube. So heres the long story short. I learned proper equipment set up, the idea of "matching the hatch" and gained a decent knowledge of insects and their lifecycles. And then, I discovered the magical region of the driftless. More specifically, Vernon county and its surrounding counties. These incredible crystal clear spring streams were completely shocking to me, I had no idea Wisconsin had this to offer. Now in this stage of my life, I would have a very difficult time targeting trout with anything but a fly. Not because I think it's better or anything like that, it's just become such a passion in my life. There is nothing more incredible to me that perfectly landing a dry fly right before a spot that you watch a trout raising, and watching that fly get picked off the surface. My main passion in life is bowhunting. And the best way I can describe it, is that fly fishing to me is the bowhunting of the fishing world...if that makes sense. I say all of this to encourage a person to not give up and really commit to the sport if you have the desire. It is much more complex and different then other methods of fishing, and can be difficult at times. But well worth the commitment. As far as spinner fishing being more affective....that's debatable at times in my experience!

I hope no one takes offense to this, as I am not degrading spinner or bait fishing what so ever. That is how I gained my love for trout fishing, and it is how I am introducing my kids to trout fishing as well. We are all fishermen, regardless of our methods. And if I ever run into any of you on the stream, I would gladly fish with ya! Good luck, and have fun exploring the driftless!

4/20/20 @ 3:00 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I live in Milwaukee, but love the trout streams south of La Crosse, thanks to my father-in-law,  who was born and raised in the area. Usually drive over on opening day and leave after a day of fishing. Any restrictions currently in place that would prevent this year's trip? Three of us and we don't intend to stop up or back. Social distancing on a trout stream is easy and will be observed. 

4/19/20 @ 8:22 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

step 1.  get in car

step 2.  drive around surrounding valleys.

step 3. find stream

step 4. prosper

While this was part joking, most of it isn't.  Every valley around and especially south of La crosse has water.  Many have public easements for fishing.  The stuff that isn't is legal as long as you keep you feet wet.  Any bridge or crossing is a legal put in, regardless of land status.  It's scenic, beautiful, and a blast.  And if you explore enough you can have some world class days.  I'm a spinner guy and I used panther martins on 6 pound mono.  For bigger water I use size 6 or 9 panther martins.  For smaller i use 4s, but sometimes 6s.  I like them a little bigger for casting purposes.  Wear dark clothes.  Be stealthy.  Hit the cast.  Trout are spooky and many pools you only get one shot.  Have fun.  

4/19/20 @ 2:24 PM
troutguy66
troutguy66
User since 10/13/19

lookup the Troutroutes app https://troutinsights.com/  it will help you get on some fish quick in your area pretty much every creek in your area is a trout stream try Timber Coulee Creek great water!  I use homemade spinners and I don't pinch barbs you can use panther martin style spinners and nail a bunch of them as far as keeping them do what you want you paid for the stamp don't let anyone tell you're wrong I love trout in the smoker myself! Happy Fishing!

My setup is -

Fishing Rod - Ugly stick 5' 8" 2 piece 

Reel - Pflueger President 

Line - Power Pro 8lb V2 Moss Green 

Tackle bag - Plano 

Waders - Simms G5 

Boots - Compass 360 Stillwater II

4/10/20 @ 10:12 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Some very good advice listed below. Just wanted to add there are many streams that are not listed in the DNR trout regulation book that hold good populations of trout and may not get the pressure other streams do. Some time spent on google earth and driving around can help find these spots. Some of my best honey hole spots and biggest trout have come out of these streams.

I agree about using spinning tackle, much easier and more effective. I enjoy fly fishing but rarely find open enough areas to cast without constantly getting snagged due to my low casting skill level. I save the fly rod for spawning blue gills out of my boat - no snags there.

I have some great memories of trout fishing back when I lived in Platteville, used to drive all over fishing new streams. I have lived near La Crosse now for over 3 years and have yet to go trout fishing in the area. Every year I buy a stamp and just never make it out, always end up fishing the Mississippi River for other species. Maybe this will be the year...

4/10/20 @ 7:53 AM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

Your best place to start is here: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/regulations/Regs_TroutRegsPress2021.pdf

Gear I use: Chest waders, these can get pricey but Frogg Toggs makes a good pair for around $40. I currently have the Frog Togg Hellbender stocking foot wader and Frogg Togg boots.

Creel to carry fish, trout net (I recommend Ego fishing nets), polarized glasses are a must and a fishing vest is nice but not necessary.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bassdash-Fishing-Adjustable-Outdoor-Activities/dp/B07CT13RKB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+vest&qid=1586523061&sr=8-3

I appreciate fly fishing for what it is but it's not my style. I usually fish with a 5 1/2' - 6' pole, light action to med/light. Then I'll toss Mepps Aglia, Panther Marin, small spoons and rapalas. I will also toss crawlers with a split shot about a foot away from the hook and fish up river.

Line: Fireline Crystal, 4-6lb. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE