Ice Fishing Trout

12/19/18 @ 11:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
smbrickner
smbrickner
USER since 4/16/09

There is a small lake in Lincoln county that I am thinking of attempting to ice fish on this weekend.

Walkable with the small kids and fairly close to home.  If I am reading the regs correctly it looks like open season for lake fishing runs May '18 through March '19.  So it should be legal.  I have never ice fished trout and I am looking for some guidance.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
1/16/19 @ 8:14 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10

A chunk of night crawler hanging off a jig spoon.Jig it like you have never fished before. Trout like to chase.

Post Your Comment
12/23/18 @ 7:13 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01

I've considered running up to Horseshoe lake or over to devils lake to try for trout. Anyone ice fish those?

Post Your Comment
12/20/18 @ 6:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Yes, they inhabit the entire water column. A flasher is key. My favorite lure is a very small (1/32 - 1/64) horizontal jig with a waxie or spike. Kernels of canned corn work well sometimes too.  Good luck!

Post Your Comment
12/20/18 @ 10:22 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
Fish them like you would a panfish. They can be anywhere in the water column and tend to be aggressive when you find them. If you don't have a flasher they may be tough to find. Jig or small spoon is what I have caught them on. I don't target them but catch a fair amount as they are stocked in a lot of lakes up this way. When they've hit my tip ups, they usually drop the minnow before I can get a hook-set. I've caught them 1' below the ice before in 30 fow, could see them circling the hole like a fish tank.

Post Your Comment