SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Crazy Sinker Question

4/6/20 @ 9:48 AM
INITIAL POST
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

Up until about 10 years ago, I put a split shot (re-usable) on by simply clamping it on. My problem with this is that my split shot would slide down my line or randomly come off no matter how tight I clamped it on. I then changed it up by wrapping my line around my split shot and then clamping it shut. This prevented the sinker from sliding down my line but I would still lose my sinker. Sinkers don't cost an arm and leg but it can be annoying to have to constantly be putting on a sinker when standing in waste high water. I cannot figure out how they keep coming off or what can be done differently. Does anyone else have issues losing sinkers or possible fixes?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/7/20 @ 7:40 PM
Mberns
User since 5/26/10

If you can find the Water Gremlin Brand of split shot you will have far less trouble with them falling off.

4/7/20 @ 10:16 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I stopped using pliers to pinch on split shot. My Canada buddies used shot as a stop for slip sinker bait rigs. Through the week fishing was fine but twice in one day the bigger walleyes bit and the lines snapped where they pinched the sinker on the mono line with a pliers. I was using a swivel as a stop, and or, rubbercore sinkers. I use shot but make do pinching it on by hand and save the pliers for removal only. As far as loss goes...split happens.

4/7/20 @ 7:49 AM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09
I take all of these measures and don't have any problems when fishing with a slip bobber or panfish off the bottom, it's only when I'm trout fishing and need the right weight to get my crawler down to the bottom but not too heavy that it sits in one place. I always use my my surgical pliers to clamp it on to the point I can see marks on the sinker. There are times I'll lose more sinkers than hooks... Crazy!
4/7/20 @ 7:16 AM
dogfish63
User since 4/10/18

Don't use a split shot, use a swivel. No more problem.

4/6/20 @ 3:22 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I use removable split shots for both dead stick and slip bobber fishing. Before I attach the split shot for the first time I use a needle nose pliers to pinch it closed. I use just enough pressure to put a slight imprint into the lead. I then use the pliers to pinch it back open enough to get the line seated into it. Once the line is to the bottom of the slot I gently pinch it shut with the pliers. I rarely lose or have the split shot slide when doing this. Likewise I haven’t noticed any weakening of the line from this approach either. 

4/6/20 @ 12:15 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

I pinch my sinkers with pliers,and don't have any trouble with them sliding...

4/6/20 @ 10:23 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Say what I have never had one come off unless I have snagged and snapped the line.   sliding down yes wrapping the line or a knot below the sinker does work.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE