Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Chased Out of Navigable Stream

9/13/14 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Big Mitch
User since 6/18/01
Last outing for my son and I on Beaver Creek in Eau Claire County and had a landowner come down claiming we where trespassing and had to leave. We had done it all right, entered at the bridge on S150th, stayed in the water, feet wet at all times. Informed him the stream was navigable and public as long as our feet stayed wet. Also informed him WI law protects sportsmen from harassment when legally engaged in sport. No go the fellow insisted we leave. I get he was bowhunting, but trout fishing is still legal. More then willing to slip quietly downstream and come back by any other route he indicated. No give, insisted we leave. Since he had bow in hand back upstream and out we went. Called the DNR, guy admitted he was in the wrong so DNR is not following up further. Any suggestions?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/9/14 @ 6:27 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
You probably did the right thing with your boy there but i'da told the guy to go mate with himself. I agree with Ditto. I won't give into bullies.

10/5/14 @ 6:02 PM
User since 10/5/05
Agree with ditto. I've been in a few spots like this while trout fishing. If he has a problem, it's his job to go home early and call the DNR, not mine. Maybe if he aimed a weapon at me I'd leave, but that's another reason many trout fishermen carry handguns also.

10/5/14 @ 6:02 PM
User since 10/5/05
Agree with ditto. I've been in a few spots like this while trout fishing. If he has a problem, it's his job to go home early and call the DNR, not mine. Maybe if he aimed a weapon at me I'd leave, but that's another reason many trout fishermen carry handguns also.

10/2/14 @ 3:26 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
OK maybe he's not taking away your rights, you're just giving into a bully and letting your rights go by the wayside. I agree that I would handle things different with my son along but I would make darn sure that things were taken care of at a later time. Video him with your phone for evidence maybe? Teach your son that you can do the right thing without violence or confrontation?

All you do by walking away is encourage idiots like this, the next guy legally fishing there will also get the same treatment from him if no one stands up to him. I'm so sick of the "in this day and age BS" the guy isn't going to shoot you for fishing.

Would you be feeling the same way if this was the opening of gun season or duck season and he came out screaming at you on public land?

10/2/14 @ 9:09 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
This answer is simple you had your son with you. You did the right thing.

10/2/14 @ 6:19 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
How is he taking away your rights? He is armed with a bow and most likely a side arm and things can spin out of control very quickly if he wants to escalate. Best thing to do is to back off, call the hotline and let the law take care of this.(if DNR is not going to persue, hire a lawyer to sue the guy for violating your rights) No room for being macho if you are dead or injured. Just too many idiots out in the woods these days to take a chance. Just my 2 cents....

9/14/14 @ 6:35 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
So just let the idiot take away your rights because you don't want a confrontation?

9/14/14 @ 5:05 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Set the example and just move on. To many nuts out there and a nut with a bow is not a nut you want to mess with. Just to much water out there to get into a fuss with a nut with. Life is too short.

9/13/14 @ 12:41 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
First suggestion is you should have told him to go to (you know where) let him try to FORCE you to leave. Next call the DNR and get a copy of the report where he stated he was in the wrong and then contact the Sheriff with that information and insist that a citation is issued.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.