SEARCH
MORE
Snowmobiles

Ice fishing cargo rack for 1998 Polaris 500

11/15/20 @ 10:33 AM
INITIAL POST
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

New to snowmobiles.  Picked up a 1998 polaris Indy 500 for Ice fishing in north wi.  Found out the snow just gets too deep for atv.  Need to rig machine for Ice fishing.  Would like a rear cargo rack.  Some storage for rack.  A way to carry my power auger.  I would also like to be able to tow out my 2 man ice shelter.  

Any ideas or suggestions on what works or what you have purchased to help me rig my machine would be appreciated. 

Shellfish

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
11/22/20 @ 6:49 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I ended up making my own rack from old aluminum step ladder.  Sorry picture looks better in my gallery don't know why it is cut off.

11/18/20 @ 9:12 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

You’re not likely to find many options for a snowmobile, they simply aren’t designed for that...

Best bet is to buy an otter model number 877 sled.  I have one, and would guess it’s around 2 1/2‘ x 5‘!. It holds my tip ups, auger, camp stove, jigging rods, minnow bucket, ladle, even a cooler.  

I mounted a piece of plywood on top, in the rear third of the sled, and made cut outs for my Vex, minnow bucket, and tip ups. 

It pulls super easy behind the sled, and has everything I need.

I also bought two bike pulleys from Menards, so I just hoist it up in the rafters when it’s not in use. When I need it, I back my truck into the garage, and lower it right into the bed of the Silverado.

I think customizing an otter sled is likely your best bet.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE