SEARCH
MORE
Snowmobiles

first time snowmobile buyer.

4/18/14 @ 7:52 PM
INITIAL POST
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
I am considering buying a snowmobile for ice fishing maybe the occasional trail ride. I really know nothing about sleds. I was wondering if there is a sled out there that's low maintenance for beginners.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
6/27/17 @ 2:26 AM
Fish-see22
User since 6/21/17

Polaris is a nice choice. I wonder what snowmobile you have bought.

1/23/15 @ 9:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
X2 BT. You won't win any races with a 440 fan, but she won't leave you on the side of the trail either. Likely the most bullet proof machine out there...
1/22/15 @ 11:43 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
"I would say look at a Polaris 440 air cooled Indy Fan. Simple, bullet proof motor, goes about 50 to 55 mph, and really shouldn't give you too much grief." This is exactly the machine that I bought 10 or so years ago. It's a '96 Indy. I have never had a problem with it. It has started every time. It pulls the sled or portable just fine and didn't break the bank. While I have bought two newer Arctic Cats for trail riding, I would not hesitate to take the old Indy out if we had an extra person up north with us. Just keep it up to date with the maintenance (gear case, carbides, hifax, bearings) and you'll have yourself a nice machine for all of your needs.
1/20/15 @ 9:05 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Rangers are cool Lectro! Sorry to hear about your wife, that would be tough. My sister had a stroke 4 years ago, prayers sent to your wife. Cheers
1/19/15 @ 4:35 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
Plmk. My wife was the one that wanted the sleds. She had a stroke due to a heart problem at 45 YO. her left arm is useless, cannot ride even as a passenger (safety). Gave the sleds to the kids and will in the near future look for a Ranger or similar so she can ride along. Just can't spare the $ 9,000 at this time. Sorry if I came off as being mad. Just the way life is sometimes. That was 2 years ago, we will be O.K.
12/20/14 @ 9:17 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
You should ride with us Lectro - we have a hoot! Vilas County up to the UP as well as the Wolf River from Shiocton to Tustin and Lake Poygan. Can't think of anything I love more (maybe duck hunting and fishing!)
12/18/14 @ 5:49 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
I just gave mine to the kids. Oh they are so happy to have them. Last few years I threw the money into the pit. Your turn. The way people ride today screw it, I've had no fun.
9/5/14 @ 12:31 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
Sold 2, will keep the Indy and the trailer.
5/18/14 @ 3:59 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
im probably not going to be able to swing one this year unfortunatly
5/16/14 @ 9:04 AM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
a 10 year old sled isn't any more complicated to work on than a 20 year old one for the most part, and theres a better chance you won't have any major work to do on it. good time of the year to buy if you can find one for sale.
5/15/14 @ 2:30 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
CWW. I've got a couple you might want to look at. Older sleds 1990's very good condition low miles. Wife has a medical condition and can't ride. 1993 Yamaha Vmax 600 2 up, 1990 Indy 500, 1992 Wildcat 700 (Bad Boy). Stored in Town of Rome. 608-547-3200
4/18/14 @ 8:26 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
I would say the simplest sleds are the fan cooled sleds. They don't over heat on a packed down trail, but they also don't have the same top end as a liquid cooled sled. I would say look at a Polaris 440 air cooled Indy Fan. Simple, bullet proof motor, goes about 50 to 55 mph, and really shouldn't give you too much grief. Do check the track. Is is missing any lugs or clips? Also check the compression. That is a biggie. Also, many time the chain case is neglected, give that a good once over too.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE