SEARCH
MORE
Snowmobiles

2013 VS 2001 Yamaha Ventures

1/7/22 @ 8:49 PM
INITIAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

I have a rookie question regarding the above sleds.   

I bought both sled this past summer used.    These are the first sleds have owned.

The 2001 is triple cylinder 600.  It drinks a lot of gas and top is only about 55 and is slow getting up to it.  Does this seem right?  Of course the only thing i have to compare to is the 2013 which is a 4 stroke and has great performance.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
1/23/22 @ 6:47 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

The middle cylinder in the 3-cyclinder machines was a failed experiment!

Those sleds just ripped, the middle cylinder didn’t always get oil though, and blew quite a bit - but they were really fast sleds.  55 mph is very slow for that machine, your likely dragging a cylinder along for the ride.

Pull out all three plugs, and see if they look the same.  Betting the middle plug is fouled…

Also ck spark and compression in each cylinder - betting you’ll find the problem! 

1/16/22 @ 9:30 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I agree with all below that triple cylinder 600 should do alot more than 55 mph and is most likely a clutching issue or low compression etc. Although I don't have a Yamaha I do have a 1996 Polaris xlt 600 triple with 8700 original miles and have no problem cranking up to 90 plus mph. Definitely something isn't right. But I will say when I bought that sled it ran great at first and then it wouldn't go over 50 mph. But idled great and pulled hard to 50 but fell on its face after that. And I took the carbs apart and the main jet in the middle carburetor had come loose and was laying in the bottom of the float bowl. Put back in and problem solved and could go 90 easily so don't overlook the carburetors either. Hope this helps 

1/8/22 @ 6:54 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I agree that the 600cc triple should do way more than 55 mph...run a compression check and check the belt and clutch. If the belt is worn or glazed over from heat (this can happen if you do not properly break in a belt or do a lot of low speed and/or high load riding), then toss the belt and replace it. If the sled runs well, my guess would be a worn belt or clutching issue. I have a 1998 Yamaha VMax XTC (600cc twin cylinder) that will do 100mph or better. Granted, it isn't a 2-up machine, but 55 mph is what I would expect from a 440 2-up sled with two riders on it. Like I said, if it idles and runs well through all RPMs, my bet would be a belt or clutch issue. Good luck!

1/7/22 @ 9:24 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Triple 6 should do more than 55. I would check compression in all the cylinders to start.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE